• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Documents to Go vs. QuickOffice

I have found that DTG is an extremely useful app. I like how I can easily create Office 2003 documents and alter Office 2007 documents with little effort. I use it on a regular basis, while I have used Quickoffice just once.

DTG has a long history of quality Office interface on the Palm devices. I would expect DTG on Android to be of the same high quality and reliability.

Upvote 0
I've used DTG since my Palm Pilot/Sony Clie days, so naturally DTG was the first Android app purchase. The free version lets you read files, but the paid versions let you modify and create them.

I mainly used it for Excel, and it is a bit limited. You cannot use macros and conditional formatting doesn't work for example. If you are not in a rush, you can find it on sale from time to time. I got mine for $10, and on Cinco de Mayo, they had it for $5.

I'm glad you mentioned DTG because I've been looking for a note app, and I haven't found one that save the note as a .txt file, which I prefer for backup purposes. Not sure why I didn't think of using Word since I paid for it already.

Upvote 0
I downloaded it last night to try it for 24 hours. I sent myself some test Office 2007 documents (1 Excel and 1 Word) and tried opening them both with QuickOffice and Docs to Go. They opened in both. I thought QuickOffice wasn't supposed to handle Office 2007.

QuickOffice was also able to open a Powerpoint presentation as well.

Anybody know what the deal is? Has QuickOffice added compatibility for 2007 and Powerpoint or is it something where when I uninstall and get my refund from Docs to Go all of a sudden QuickOffice will no longer be able to handle it (like it is using Docs to Go to convert them or something).

If QuickOffice opens 2007 and Powerpoint now then the only real advantage to Docs to Go is that you can edit right? If that is the only difference I might go ahead and just stick with QuickOffice.
I had QuickOffice but also purchased Documents-to-Go since QO doesn't handle password-protected files...yet. (I'm told they are planning on incorporating that in the near future.) I wanted some files on my phone password-protected, so I went with D2G.

I'm not sure why I ended up with a blank grocery list when I was shopping yesterday. I loved being able to so easily remove items on my list as I put them into the cart (very difficult to do with Google Notebooks on my phone), but somehow when the phone was in my pocket I must've selected all & erased...perhaps I hadn't pushed the power button on the top of my phone to protect any actions being performed while in my pocket. The grocery store didn't have everything I went to buy, so there should've been things left on it for the next grocery run!

Anyone else have any differences between QO & D2G besides D2G's being able to handle password-protected files?

Upvote 0
I ordered Docs2Go a while ago. If you get it you will run into problems if you try to install it on another ROM, or if you lose/brick your phone and try to reinstall it. The first time I lost my phone they sent me another link to download the app. That link dind't last long... now when I tried to reinstall it (Market does not recognize that I bought it but on dataviz's site they show it in my purchased software after they replaced it but the link there is no good either. Your recourse is to post in a forum for support. They will eventually send you a new link (probably) but since I'm not going to mess around with that many hoops every time I reinstall my phone I'm just giving up on the whole thing as too much of a burden. It isn't worth a penny to me.

Upvote 0
I tried the included QO on my desire with some big and complex xlsx files and kept getting "out of memory" errors. Just tried the full D2G and it works real smooth. Think the read only QO has restrictions other than no edits, like size of file perhaps. Does anybody know how to total a selection of cells in D2G like you can in Excell?

Upvote 0
I only do mild editing from my phone, so QuickOffice is fine for me. It has support for BOTH Dropbox AND Googledocs.

I think D2G only supports GoogleDocs, so that is a no go for me. I really like the convenience of Dropbox. I put all my needed PDFs (e.g., receipts, ref manuals) in Dropbox and can open them directly from QuickOffice, which has a PDF viewer. Of course I'll put the occasional Word or Excel file in there too. Haven't really explored GoogleDocs yet, but I'm sure I'll figure out how to take advantage of that soon!

Upvote 0
I have to much prefer **QuickOffice 3.3.51** over the dismal D2G 3.001 on my Android 2.1 HTC Hero, although both are frustrating and could easily be developed further. Numerous reasons. I tend to read online books in .pdf, .doc, or .txt format (I can't deal with epub, mobi, etc.) Initially, I thought it would be the other way around.

These programs are suites and ideally each component would be considered separately. Take the PDF component. A pdf book might be 400 pages, and now suppose that I am on page 231.

If I am reading/referring to a long .pdf via D2G, switch to another program (email, etc.), and then switch back, D2G will have completely lost the page, and have returned to page 1! You can dig to find a 'go to page X' but then you have to know which page you were on. There is no way to pull down the cursor to get to a distant page quickly. QuickOffice does not have this problem. QuickOffice also lets you enter a pagewrap mode which makes scrolling and font size changing much easier.

Both programs are pretty screwy about virtual keyboards. I think you should be able to drag it over from the left or the right rather than fiddling on the bottom with some toggles. Both programs are impossible to create outlines - in part because there is no tab key, up down left right arrows.

D2G also abandons its initial clean file interface - to pile on useless information. I want to select which local file to open. in landscape mode, I can only see two files at a time, with an entire line taken by a directory listing, and another by the toolbar which could be a lot skinnier, then an announcement about what program I'm running. QuickOff can show 5 files at a time. Etc. Etc.

Upvote 0
I have to much prefer **QuickOffice 3.3.51** over the dismal D2G 3.001 on my Android 2.1 HTC Hero, although both are frustrating and could easily be developed further. Numerous reasons. I tend to read online books in .pdf, .doc, or .txt format (I can't deal with epub, mobi, etc.) Initially, I thought it would be the other way around.

These programs are suites and ideally each component would be considered separately. Take the PDF component. A pdf book might be 400 pages, and now suppose that I am on page 231.

If I am reading/referring to a long .pdf via D2G, switch to another program (email, etc.), and then switch back, D2G will have completely lost the page, and have returned to page 1! You can dig to find a 'go to page X' but then you have to know which page you were on. There is no way to pull down the cursor to get to a distant page quickly. QuickOffice does not have this problem. QuickOffice also lets you enter a pagewrap mode which makes scrolling and font size changing much easier.

Both programs are pretty screwy about virtual keyboards. I think you should be able to drag it over from the left or the right rather than fiddling on the bottom with some toggles. Both programs are impossible to create outlines - in part because there is no tab key, up down left right arrows.

D2G also abandons its initial clean file interface - to pile on useless information. I want to select which local file to open. in landscape mode, I can only see two files at a time, with an entire line taken by a directory listing, and another by the toolbar which could be a lot skinnier, then an announcement about what program I'm running. QuickOff can show 5 files at a time. Etc. Etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones