• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does 1080HD videos play on iconia?

I have literally tried every player I could find for xvid and 264 encoded mkv files.. best candidates so far are bsplayer lite and mirage. Neither can do the 720P mkv files. If u have mp4 however, it plays awesome..wonder if I can repack the 720's I have in mkv..like I used to do for ps3 to play mkv.. mobo player is OK, but not as good as mirage IMHO. I dislike the mirage interface though. Find em in Market..

Upvote 0
The Iconia tab display is 1280 x 800, meaning it can play 720p videos. The best formats to use are .mp4, .m4v, and .avi. I'd recommend either .mp4 or .m4v (both are H.264) because of their superior compression and low loss. If you're going to encode for the Iconia, I'd recommend doing a search for the appropriate bit rate and audio sample rate (for my Captivate, which can also play 720p, I use a bit rate of 1500 bits per second [constant bit rate] and 44.1k audio sample rate, using .aac audio [stereo downmix]. Of course, I'm also using standard definition versions of the movies because I don't have a Blu-Ray player.)

Reactions: samjim59
Upvote 0
In my experience, 1080 is hard to get working. Even some higher bitrate 720 video can be troublesome. (stuttery)

I prefer MXPlayer myself, and using ES File Explorer for browsing the library.
But I found .avi (including DivXHD) and .mp4's w/2 ch. AAC work great.

MKV's are very hit or miss, generally miss, with every player I have tried, particularly DTS audio ones. As well, some mp4's with multi-channel surround AAC streams tend to act strange, or flat out stutter. M2TS files don't seem to even be recognizable to all players I have tried.

I would say 720 mp4's with 2 channel AAC audio are the best option for quality relative to size, and percentage of successful playback.

Reactions: samjim59
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones