• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does 4G slow down your phone?

JohnJSal

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
Not every time, but most times that I turn on 4G, it seems to really make my phone drag. This may be due to not having a strong connection, but even after turning 4G off my phone remains sluggish for a while. Sometimes I have to reset. Does anyone else get this? Why does it do this?

Yes. It's a known bug that is being bizarrely ignored. If you have good 4G signal it may not be an issue. But what certainly is an issue is it being sluggish after turning off 4G. If you watch your logcat logs, you can see that there is some sort of WiMax polling activity occurring every 2 seconds, even after turning the radio off.

The only way to stop the polling-even-with-the-radio-off, and regain your performance is turn make sure the radio is set off and reboot the phone. Now, if you're in a 4G area and turn it ON and get good signal, that may 'fix' it as well...

Upvote 0
Yes. It's a known bug that is being bizarrely ignored.

I think they are pulling an Ostritch defense here. Ignore the problem until it goes away...

I have suffered from this issue for more than a month. I live in SC but work in Charlotte NC where I get 4G. I also spend time on the weekends in Charlotte, but for the most part, I use 4G M-F 8am-5pm only.

I did a factory reset on 11-20-10. I came to work only two days last week (Mon and Tue). Both days, my 4G worked flawlessly without lag. In addition, I did go to Charlotte at least 4 other times during my 5 days off...and the 4G never was a problem for me.

Today marks the first day of a full week back at work. If the 4G lag issue is still present in my phone, I will likely know about it by the end of this week.

Right now, I am in 4G with a poor to fair signal. No lag yet. :D

EDITED to add...

I still have 4G Lag. I didn't expect this to happen so soon...however, I had the lag issue this morning first thing, and I'm not even near 4G in the mornings. I think there may be something else going on here.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to throw my two cents in... I am on an EVO in NYC, where we recently got the 4g service and I have been experiencing the same problem. Still no fixes that I am aware of, and I have been looking around.

One thing I can tell you is that I don't believe you have to reboot everytime you come out of 4g mode. If you put the phone in and out of airplane mode, it will reset whatever 4g services were running. Try it out.

All I know is that Sprint better get this squared away, because right now we are all getting hit extra money specifically for a service that does not work (or wasn't even offered when I got the phone). Class action anyone???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones