• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does an IMAGE BASED backup program exist for the Droid-X?

I am about to embark on the ROOTING journey for my new Droid-X, and wanted to know if there was a way to backup the phone so that I could get it back EXACTLY to where it is before the rooting.

If not, is there a way to get it 100% back to factory default settings? I haven't really customized it yet, so if I break it during rooting or BRICK it, I know there are UNBRICKING steps posted already, but I want to make sure I don't end up with a FUBAR phone during this process, or afterwards.

Thanks everyone!

And that's for just about any rooted Android device, if I'm not mistaken.

What you're saying is ... I can root, backup with these programs, and restore EXACTLY to where I backed up from, and then unroot, and I'm back to almost factory?

OR is it easier to just go back to factory, and if so how do I do that? I have only installed about 5 or 6 apps and haven't really customized anything yet.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
well these backup apps can backup settings, apps, sms, and stuff like that but they aren't true backup "images" like you were asking about. When you root, you are pushing files into your system folder, which isn't touched by a factory reset. So an sbf is the only true way to go back 100% to pre root status.

By mere seconds, beat me to it, LOL!

Upvote 0
well these backup apps can backup settings, apps, sms, and stuff like that but they aren't true backup "images" like you were asking about. When you root, you are pushing files into your system folder, which isn't touched by a factory reset. So an sbf is the only true way to go back 100% to pre root status.

what is an SBF?

Upvote 0
Let me google that for you

you may have to browse thru some of those links, it may or may not have had the C&D put on it

Thanks a lot, I find that knowing the solution to the worse-case-scenario is usually the best way to attack a problem.

Now if I could just get the Exchange email contact-based alerts problem solved, this will be the perfect phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones