1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Does Android have a Windows-like "Restore"?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Coldblackice, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Lurker
    None

May 10, 2010
    Cyanogenmod 6 has just recently put me into a boot loop. I've tried everything I can from clockwork recovery -- wiping cache/dalvik, fixing permissions, starting without SD card, reinstalling the current kernel (invisiblek) from clockwork, etc. Nothing gets me out of the boot loop.

Is there any other way to get the phone booted besides wiping and reinstalling? I have a lot of data that i haven't backed up on the phone and I really need to get back into a booted state.

Otherwise, how could I go about taking the data like SMS off the phones storage and into backup? Is it possible to retrieve and store/backup/replace that data without actually booting into the phone?

My last idea that I'm waiting to try is applying a CM6 ROM update from recovery, hoping that it doesn't "wipe" everything out, but rather just performs a permission fix and reinstall over itself, fixing any program errors that seem to have cropped up.

thanks!

Advertisement

2. Black Droid

Black Droid Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    NW Ohio
    When running a custom ROM, it's important to backup at least once every few days just in case something goes wrong. My suggestion is to keep troubleshooting it, and if that doesn't work, you're going to have to restore your previous backup. Better to lose a little bit of data than to have a non-working phone in boot loop

3. TheBr0ken

TheBr0ken Member
    None

Mar 2, 2010
    you try reinstalling cm6 without wiping and stock kernel?

4. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

May 2, 2010
    Making the Establishment nervous
    Iowa|USA
    The Windows-like "Restore" is Nandroid backup/restore found in the Clockwork menu but you have to make a backup before these sorts of problems. Then it will return you to a previous point in time including all apps/data/etc.

For just apps and their data, use Titanium Backup. You can certainly recover from this situation but most likely at the cost of some data, perhaps some apps, and reconfiguring some settings.