• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Android Read Microsoft Documents?

Naudan

Lurker
Nov 4, 2009
Sorry all. With all my research and searching in the forums and on the web I could not find the answer...

Can the android phones read .doc .vsd .xls .pdf .ppt etc? I believe this is the only thing preventing me from switching over from a blackberry on Nov. 6th.

Can anyone let me know?:thinking:

Sorry all. With all my research and searching in the forums and on the web I could not find the answer...

Can the android phones read .doc .vsd .xls .pdf .ppt etc? I believe this is the only thing preventing me from switching over from a blackberry on Nov. 6th.

Can anyone let me know?:thinking:
Documents to go-full version. You can view and edit MS documents and create documents that are compatible.

Upvote 0
Can the android phones read .doc .vsd .xls .pdf .ppt etc?
Documents To Go is the best solution I've found.

I am also curious to know if there is a way to set a file so it auto syncs between your computer and your phone?
Dropbox is excellent. You may also want Dropsync. It adds lotsa flexibility to your phone's Dropbox.

Upvote 0
Can the android phones read .doc .vsd .xls .pdf .ppt etc?
Not natively, but there are many apps that provide this capability. I recommend OfficeSuite Pro. Documents to Go is also popular, but it doesn't handle frozen columns or rows in Excel properly, which is a deal-breaker for me... especially on a smaller screen.

I am also curious to know if there is a way to set a file so it auto syncs between your computer and your phone?
Again... not natively, but there are apps that do this. I like Dropbox and Google Docs, but there are other choices as well.

Upvote 0
The direct answer to your question, does Android read/write MS apps, is no. It does not.

It also does not include any way to explore or browse your file system. For each of these tasks you will need to download and install 3rd party apps.

I prefer Office Suite Pro for MS Office apps and File Manager and Astro File Manager for file browsing. I have purchased all three of the top rated MS Office compatible apps (including Docs 2 Go) and I still prefer Office Suite Pro. For the Office apps you'll pay around ~9-29 bucks, depending, and for the file managers, if you want them without ads, you'll pay a few bucks too. I really can't remember the prices, but you'll find them all on Google Play.

-Frank

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones