1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Does anybody *not* have screen banding?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by X24, Dec 22, 2011.

1. truelove79

truelove79 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    Peoria, IL
    It is "normal" in that it happens on all AMOLEDs to some degree, from barely noticeable to obnoxious. If it's slight, and only happens on lowest brightness I'd say you're fine. If it's really bad, especially on medium to high brightness and especially if it's accompanied by bad graininess or purple or blue tinting, then I'd show it to Verizon again to see if they'll swap you a new phone.

Advertisement

alostpacket likes this.
  2. jpprice.ga

jpprice.ga Newbie
    None

Sep 10, 2010
    No banding on full brightness, but I can see it on auto brightness. Not really all that noticeable on lower brightness.

3. X24

X24 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Exactly. I suppose I can live with it... maybe :eek:

I'll throw one more thing out there, for all the talk of the Rezound having the best screen, I wasn't super impressed with it. Sure, it's got the dpi, but other than that, nothing stood out for me. Heck the whole experience on it wasn't anything special. :eek:

NYCHitman1 likes this.
  4. Mephisto1812

Mephisto1812 Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2011
    First GN from release day had moderate banding. Very noticeable when the screen was on low brightness. Specifically on the market splash screen, background of browser, gmail, and text app.

Finally couldn't take it anymore as I would focus on it every single time I turned the screen on. The first Verizon store I went to tonight said... "nope, can't see what your talking about sorry". They wouldn't even exchange it when I offered to pay the restocking fee. Second Verizon store I went to swapped it on the spot.

New device... ZERO banding and I could not be happier!

100% worth the trouble of swapping it in my mind.

dgadams and alostpacket like this.
  5. soy.lor.n

soy.lor.n Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 10, 2010
    atl
    I didn't notice any banding on my first GNex, (day 1) but I do have it on the replacement. It's not too bad, and doesn't bother me enough to try to switch it out (yet)

6. A2Aegis

A2Aegis Member
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    To anyone who has banding, can you take a picture? I've been curious as to what it looks like on a phone.

7. ez12a

ez12a Member
    None

Dec 14, 2011
    Picture of my "banding"
    [​IMG]

my Rebel XT doesnt seem to capture it. If you can't see it there is like 2x .5 inch bands on the right and left side. It's a shade darker than the rest of the screen. I'd like to see others. I honestly am pretty satisfied with the phone otherwise.

You might be able to see the bands if you tilt your screen (if it's a TN panel).

My extended battery just came in too. Sweet.

8. X24

X24 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 3, 2010

While I do not have a digital camera to take a pic of the banding, it's pretty unnecessary now anyway haha.

My banding looks almost identical to yours. Same exact band on the right side of the screen. (Also I just got my extended battery as well, our phones must be twins)

9. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    I have a day one device. It really isn't THAT bad, but I would like to see another to compare it to.

10. sranger

sranger Member
    None

Apr 11, 2010
    I had to return my first phone due to a defective front camera. That phone had noticeable screen banding on white/gray backgrounds on low brightness. The replacement phone does not seem to have the problem???

I have also noticed that the replacement phone has a better battery life???

Based on my personal experience and what I have red here, in my opinion, Samsung has horrible quality control issues....

11. Lefort1

Lefort1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    1st phone, no banding.

12. SacNutz

SacNutz Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    To everyone saying they have no banding: Turn your brightness all the way down and then do the gray test above and/or look at a completely white image. Every single nexus I've seen has slight banding, and I can't imagine anyone's magically avoided it. It's an AMOLED thing.

13. milan03

milan03 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    New York City
    I'm seeing vertical LED issue and bending with gray background. Just open your settings and look at the gray background.

14. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    I'm also in this same boat, mine was the first one out of my local store and its got banding most noticeable on lower brightness on the right side of my screen. I can usually see it on any brightness in the settings or say I open and close the market fast..

Torn between reflashing 4.0.1 and relocking it to try and exchange but it seems this is a widespread issue and exchanging might just lead to me getting another one with other issues... sucks because its the only little thing wrong with mine and because Im a little ocd it sticks out like a sore thumb at me sometimes... probably end up living with it but I think we got til the 15th with the holiday policy..

15. pragmatous

pragmatous Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 1, 2010
    It looks like I have this issue also. The banding in the setup grey color.

16. beeps

beeps Newbie
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    Is this what you all are seeing? Or is mine particularly bad? This is how it looks in any gradient screen. The solid gray isn't as bad, but this gradient mess is annoying.

[​IMG]

17. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    I went back to my local store today just to compare a new screen to mine. I had greenish banding on the right side of my screen that did not go away regardless of brightness setting, the new one did not. I took the new one and now am FREE OF BANDING at ALL brightness settings!

18. ckelly33

ckelly33 Android Expert
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    CRNA
    Tennessee
    Here was my banding before I had it replaced today

Attached Files:

19. jkc120

jkc120 Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Makes you wonder why they decided to use a SAMOLED+Pentile screen for the flagship ICS Phone lol

20. beeps

beeps Newbie
    None

Oct 24, 2011
    I had no idea what "banding" was being referred to as until tonight, lol. I don't see the vertical discoloration on my phone, but I do see that cross-hatch pattern in grays and especially in the gradients.

But I can live with it... watching that Invidia purevideo hd test on youtube that's been posted a couple of times and a few hd movies, I am blown away by this screen's video performance. It's incredible.

It boggles my mind to think about what they're able to accomplish on that goofy thin film of exotic display material that makes up our screen.

Thinking back to the several phones I've had over the years, the display technology absolutely crushes the previous one. I can't wait to see what we complain about 2 years from now, lol.

21. BitGambit

BitGambit Newbie
    None

Oct 10, 2011
    Seattle
    My first Nexus had these blaring vertical banding, so I switched it out, but now my new one has the "cross-stitching" or quilt like pattern like the picture above. I went back to verizon and the dude couldnt see the defect and essentially told me to deal with it. I'm up mostly at night and so I do see this MOST of the time. I'm guessing if I'm using the Nexus mostly during the day and in lots of light, I'd would be ok with it, but I'm not.

I'm waiting up until my return point Jan 15, to decide if I should just return it all together. Screen quality is pretty dang important to me.

22. Steven58

Steven58 ^^Whadda nice guy!^^

Feb 19, 2010
    Male
    New Jersey, US of A
    No banding

23. Ken7

Ken7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    Yeah, I can see a bit of horizontal banding (not vertical) at low brightness on a solid gray screen. But I never see it with actual apps or when watching a video. Like you I don't really enjoy watching solid gray screens.

24. Connectz

Connectz Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Getting Money
    Neptune
    Thankfully, no banding here on my Gnex.

25. evrafter

evrafter Newbie
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    Here's something I've noted. When I swipe my browser left or right and there's no other tab to go to, if I keep "tugging," trying to pull over a tab thats not there, it pulls blue out....as if trying to pull a page thats not there. Anyone else experience this? If we ALL experience this, meaning its just how the phone notifies you there's nothing to swipe over, could the banding problem be related to this...possibly the blue "bleeding" in from the sides? I sometimes notice a very slight I guess "banding;" but, again on MY phone its only in the spot that lights up blue from the "swiping." Hope this all makes sense. Wasn't sure how to explain.

Edit: I just tried swiping my phone from the top. It ALSO pulls down a blue "tab."

Tags: