• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anybody *not* have screen banding?

Welp, went into Verizon and the guy just told me it was completely normal. Showed me a couple gnex's all with the same banding. I'm starting to just think I'm too anal :S.

Picked up extended battery so it wasn't a complete waste I suppose.

Thanks for your guys's help, I sincerely appreciate it.

It is "normal" in that it happens on all AMOLEDs to some degree, from barely noticeable to obnoxious. If it's slight, and only happens on lowest brightness I'd say you're fine. If it's really bad, especially on medium to high brightness and especially if it's accompanied by bad graininess or purple or blue tinting, then I'd show it to Verizon again to see if they'll swap you a new phone.

Reactions: alostpacket
Upvote 0
No banding on full brightness, but I can see it on auto brightness. Not really all that noticeable on lower brightness.

Exactly. I suppose I can live with it... maybe :eek:

I'll throw one more thing out there, for all the talk of the Rezound having the best screen, I wasn't super impressed with it. Sure, it's got the dpi, but other than that, nothing stood out for me. Heck the whole experience on it wasn't anything special. :eek:

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
First GN from release day had moderate banding. Very noticeable when the screen was on low brightness. Specifically on the market splash screen, background of browser, gmail, and text app.

Finally couldn't take it anymore as I would focus on it every single time I turned the screen on. The first Verizon store I went to tonight said... "nope, can't see what your talking about sorry". They wouldn't even exchange it when I offered to pay the restocking fee. Second Verizon store I went to swapped it on the spot.

New device... ZERO banding and I could not be happier!

100% worth the trouble of swapping it in my mind.

Upvote 0
hmmm. well my devices is back to stock, so I might as well swing by verizon to see for myself. Maybe i'll play with a few other phones to see if I'm missing out...

You guys have been great help!

One last question, all of you guys with *NO* banding, are you guys on day 1 devices?

I didn't notice any banding on my first GNex, (day 1) but I do have it on the replacement. It's not too bad, and doesn't bother me enough to try to switch it out (yet)

Upvote 0
Picture of my "banding"
IMG_3294.jpg

my Rebel XT doesnt seem to capture it. If you can't see it there is like 2x .5 inch bands on the right and left side. It's a shade darker than the rest of the screen. I'd like to see others. I honestly am pretty satisfied with the phone otherwise.

You might be able to see the bands if you tilt your screen (if it's a TN panel).

My extended battery just came in too. Sweet.

Upvote 0
Picture of my "banding"
IMG_3294.jpg

my Rebel XT doesnt seem to capture it. If you can't see it there is like 2x .5 inch bands on the right and left side. It's a shade darker than the rest of the screen. I'd like to see others. I honestly am pretty satisfied with the phone otherwise.

You might be able to see the bands if you tilt your screen (if it's a TN panel).

My extended battery just came in too. Sweet.

While I do not have a digital camera to take a pic of the banding, it's pretty unnecessary now anyway haha.

My banding looks almost identical to yours. Same exact band on the right side of the screen. (Also I just got my extended battery as well, our phones must be twins)

Upvote 0
I had to return my first phone due to a defective front camera. That phone had noticeable screen banding on white/gray backgrounds on low brightness. The replacement phone does not seem to have the problem???

I have also noticed that the replacement phone has a better battery life???

Based on my personal experience and what I have red here, in my opinion, Samsung has horrible quality control issues....

Upvote 0
I'm also in this same boat, mine was the first one out of my local store and its got banding most noticeable on lower brightness on the right side of my screen. I can usually see it on any brightness in the settings or say I open and close the market fast..

Torn between reflashing 4.0.1 and relocking it to try and exchange but it seems this is a widespread issue and exchanging might just lead to me getting another one with other issues... sucks because its the only little thing wrong with mine and because Im a little ocd it sticks out like a sore thumb at me sometimes... probably end up living with it but I think we got til the 15th with the holiday policy..

Upvote 0
Makes you wonder why they decided to use a SAMOLED+Pentile screen for the flagship ICS Phone lol

I had no idea what "banding" was being referred to as until tonight, lol. I don't see the vertical discoloration on my phone, but I do see that cross-hatch pattern in grays and especially in the gradients.

But I can live with it... watching that Invidia purevideo hd test on youtube that's been posted a couple of times and a few hd movies, I am blown away by this screen's video performance. It's incredible.

It boggles my mind to think about what they're able to accomplish on that goofy thin film of exotic display material that makes up our screen.

Thinking back to the several phones I've had over the years, the display technology absolutely crushes the previous one. I can't wait to see what we complain about 2 years from now, lol.

Upvote 0
My first Nexus had these blaring vertical banding, so I switched it out, but now my new one has the "cross-stitching" or quilt like pattern like the picture above. I went back to verizon and the dude couldnt see the defect and essentially told me to deal with it. I'm up mostly at night and so I do see this MOST of the time. I'm guessing if I'm using the Nexus mostly during the day and in lots of light, I'd would be ok with it, but I'm not.

I'm waiting up until my return point Jan 15, to decide if I should just return it all together. Screen quality is pretty dang important to me.

Upvote 0
Here's something I've noted. When I swipe my browser left or right and there's no other tab to go to, if I keep "tugging," trying to pull over a tab thats not there, it pulls blue out....as if trying to pull a page thats not there. Anyone else experience this? If we ALL experience this, meaning its just how the phone notifies you there's nothing to swipe over, could the banding problem be related to this...possibly the blue "bleeding" in from the sides? I sometimes notice a very slight I guess "banding;" but, again on MY phone its only in the spot that lights up blue from the "swiping." Hope this all makes sense. Wasn't sure how to explain.

Edit: I just tried swiping my phone from the top. It ALSO pulls down a blue "tab."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones