• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone actually USE the optical trackball?

bigstu22

Aug 4, 2010
Maybe I'm just impatient at learning new skills but it seems to me that the optical thingy is just far inferior to tapping/pinching etc. Maybe for text selection it would be better but it just seems so redundant to me. Is it just me? Am I the only optical trackball-phobe?

Same here - it's that bad I use it only when I have to :( The blackberry version is a million miles ahead of it.

Whats your problem with the optical trackpad?
I prefer this over blackberry's crappy trackballs.
Dust often gets crammed in the slits around the trackballs on the BB ones.
The optical trackpad is great, the fact that it's all flat and blends in well without sticking out. Its a touchscreen smartphone - the sole purpose for such a function is pretty much only used for text editing or for certain apps - it can also be used as a camera button rather than pressing the screen.

I love the optical trackpad - I think the HTC is the only company which uses of such technology. I agree that you hardly use it but its better than nothing.

Upvote 0
Whats your problem with the optical trackpad?
I prefer this over blackberry's crappy trackballs.
Dust often gets crammed in the slits around the trackballs on the BB ones.
The optical trackpad is great, the fact that it's all flat and blends in well without sticking out.

If you compare to the Blackberry Bold which has a trackpad not a ball... blackberry is much better imo. I think this was the point.
I far prefer my brothers trackpad to min on desire. But overall Desire is far better :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones