1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does anyone know how to root the LG Tribute 2 ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BOBBY BROWN7, Oct 10, 2015.

1. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

I just got this boost mobile LG Tribute 2 the other day. It's model number is LG LS665 (LGLS665) and it is running on the Android (lollipop) 5.1.1 OS . I have been looking all over for a way to root it and I haven't had any success. If anyone could provide any help it would be greatly appreciated!

2. coolbeans2015

coolbeans2015 Well-Known Member

jamoosh and tli like this.
  3. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

Thanks for the reply!
    Fortunately, I haven't bricked my device. It is in the same state that I purchased it in, with the exception of the 5.1.1 update that I installed right after I got it. However, my device model name is (LGLS665), It is the LG Tribute 2 on the Boost Mobile network. It is not the (LGLS770) (Stylo I believe...) which is the model that is mentioned in the link that you provided. Therefore I am wary when it comes to attempting to use the software that you linked me earlier today, for rooting and installing TWRP on my LG Tribute 2, due to the fact that it is not designed for my device! Also I am currently not aware of any ROMs for my device. If you know of any superb or outstanding ROMs that would be compatible with my phone, please feel free to share them with me! If you or anyone else could 100% confirm, that the software in the link that you provided for me IS compatible with my device, I would then, in turn, feel a great deal more comfortable in attempting to use it with my device. Thank you!

4. Corbald

Corbald Lurker

As of this moment, there is no CWM or TWRP for our phone (Tribute 2 LGLS665) that I know of. That said, the link above HAS WORKED to root for myself and a few other users, especially those that bricked using the 1ClickRoot or Kingroot methods. I'm on Boost, so I have their phone as well. Honestly, this phone is not common enough, yet, to warrant much time from the big devs here (or anywhere else, for that matter), so don't expect custom recovery/ROMs for a while.

It's up to you if you want to try the above link, but it CAN work. The critical, phone bricking part comes AFTER the bit where most people encounter failure. If you can't get a file listing using 'ls tmp' (you may need to repeat the command up to ten times) then DO NOT PROCEED. Otherwise, you should be golden. (no warranty, guarantee, own risk, etc...)

tli likes this.
  5. midnightwolf

midnightwolf Well-Known Member

King root is a good one. And also use flashfire to flash to get xposed.

6. midnightwolf

Proof

Attached Files:

7. midnightwolf

And no risk of bricking:)

8. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

Okay what is the link(s) to aquire this

9. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

10. midnightwolf

What didnt work

11. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

kingroot

12. midnightwolf

Try using thato_O

13. BOBBY BROWN7

BOBBY BROWN7 Lurker

14. midnightwolf

Well idk then we have the same phone well ummmm did anyone do it a another way:thinking:

15. k0r

k0r Well-Known Member

This worked for me, I ended up bricking my phone the same night I got it. Mine was virgin mobile but still the same phone. I tried the one click root method that claimed to work for all LG phones. I ended up stumbling across that tutorial online and couldn't get it to work for me. Turns out I didn't have the proper LG drivers installed. It also ended up rooting my phone so it was a win-win. If you're currently bricked or need root I suggest trying this method out. follow the instructions completely, and make sure you install the drivers linked from that post. Thanks for finding this!

jamoosh and tli like this.
  16. tli

tli Android Enthusiast

NVM...

#19 tli, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  17. F_302

F_302 Lurker

jamoosh likes this.
  18. jamoosh

jamoosh Android Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have the Virgin Mobile variant, as well, so I'll give this a shot. I'm not sure if there is much difference between the two carriers versions of the phone, but it seems like the one-click root methods are hit and miss on this device.

Considering the similarities of the devices, does anybody know if the Virgin Mobile version can be flashed to work on Boost, or vice versa?

19. ogsk8er

ogsk8er Newbie

Hi all!

I didnt want to start a new post so I thought I would ask here. Hope thats ok.

So I rooted my VM LG Tribute 2 last night using KingRoot. All is working just fine. :)
    I have rooted 2 phones in the past, but I never backed up any files at all. I just went all willy-nilly and uninstalled the bloatware I didnt want. Well, with this phone I would like a backup just in case.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what app would I use for this? Back in the day, Titanium Backup was popular. Not sure how it is today. I wont be installing a custom rom or anything, just mostly deleting bloatware.

So, my questions are:
    1. What app should I use to back up files that I delete, just in case I should ever revert back from root?
    2. Do I really need SuperSu, or is the one from Kingroot ok to use?
    3. Is there anything else I should need for my basic root?

Kind of a root newb so apologies for that.

Thanks for any help! :)

20. midnightwolf

I got good news and bad, good news you still can make a backup with titanium, bad news with that backup you can't do nothing with it. Let's say you bricked your phone you cant Flash that zip to fix it since we don't have a custom recovery.

21. techspec74

techspec74 Lurker

It will still say try now tap the try now button

22. Loki Mischif

Loki Mischif Lurker

OUCH!! I have an LG Tribute 2 for boost and I followed this exactly and now Myh phone wont boot past the LG screen!!! Plz Hel;p!!

LG Leon Forum

The LG Leon release date was April 2015. Features and Specs include a 4.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon 410 processor, and 1900mAh battery.

April 2015
Release Date
Reviews