1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does anyone know if there is a way to block someone from calling or texting your phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CelineDoll, Feb 5, 2011.

1. CelineDoll

CelineDoll Newbie

No drama, I just wanted to see if there was a way to somehow block certain people from being able to call (or me receive the call, more accurately) or text me??

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

CelineDoll likes this.
  3. CelineDoll

CelineDoll Newbie

Oh wow!! THANK YOU!! That will absolutely do the trick!! :)

4. redger725

redger725 Newbie

For phone calls just go into your call log, press and hold the number you want to block. A menu will pop up. Select "add to reject list".

5. CelineDoll

CelineDoll Newbie

But that still let's them text and leave you messages.. tried it :-/

6. redger725

redger725 Newbie

If you install tasker, you could set up a script that automatically responds with a text message when you get texts from a list of phone numbers. Just have the text message respond with something like "Sorry, your text message has been blocked by <your number>". They will think their messages aren't getting through and give up.

Edit: I just set up a script in tasker, and it worked.

7. jdCaptivate

jdCaptivate Android Enthusiast

Search the market for Mr. Number. It blocks suspected spam, phone numbers by area code, or specific numbers you input. It blocks texts messages also.

Its also free.

The Shape likes this.
  8. simbill

simbill Newbie

Been using Mr Number for over 8 months now. First on my blackberry, now on my captivate. I HIGHLY recommend. Allows for answer and hangup instead of just forwarding to voicemail as well as SMS blocking. Dont pay AT&T a cent for something that should be free

The Shape likes this.
  9. iPhail

iPhail Well-Known Member

Do this then...

Download handscent (amazing sms app) and turn off notification for the default messaging app then simply blacklist them and BAM creeper begone!

10. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert

FWIW, when I did my homework regarding apps that hang up on specific incoming calls, the following did just that. No pleasantries, just a hang-up.

Call Blocker
    Call Blocker Elite
    CallFilter Pro
    Extreme Call Blocker
    Mr. Number
    Profile Call Blocker
    SPC

There may be more, but this gave me a menu to choose from should I need to block calls.

If you don't use one of the above apps on a daily basis and it's installed, whether you like it or not it will interact with the dialer and create a lag. Two choices:

1. Uninstall the app 'til needed.
    2. Freeze the app using Titanium Backup PRO. App remains installed, but is frozen and can't interact with the dialer. Need the app down the road? Thaw it.

11. sremick

sremick Android Expert

This is an important point, and applies to many other categories of apps. I've actually uninstalled many useful... but only once in a blue moon... apps from my phone, despite wanting to have them on-hand "just in-case", due to the very lag issue you mentioned. It wasn't worth causing problems with every call.

12. lotreaglesfan

lotreaglesfan Well-Known Member

I just use Google Voice for everything haha :)

13. mttfrog13

mttfrog13 Android Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure if you're getting harassing phone calls, at&t will block phone numbers for free. The $5/month thing is mostly for parents I think.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews