1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does anyone know what this means?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by fozzyengine1, Jun 24, 2011.

1. fozzyengine1

fozzyengine1 Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    I have a app named Task Manager, I have tried to delete it but I cant. I tried to remove it use the phone app management on the phone and with an uninstall app, but neither seems to work. When I tried the uninstall app i received this message.... App is ODEXED. Does anyone know what this means? oR HOW TO REMOVE IT? Im telling everyone who reads this posting, DONT INSTALL THIS APP TO YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!!. IT GET ACCESS TO ANY AND EVERYTHING ON YOUR PHONE! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Need more information. What phone are you on? How did you get this app? (did you install it or was is preinstalled?)

There are lots of "task manager" apps, so it's hard to know what you are referring to exactly.

If it's a system app, you can't uninstall without root.

3. fozzyengine1

fozzyengine1 Lurker
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Im using the Samsung Infuse not sure were I downloaded it from, not a preinstalled app. Here is some info i can see concerning the app
    Type: VM Application Process
    Process: Name com.sec.android.app.

4. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Pretty sure that's preinstalled in froyo roms... It's the task manager for froyo. Like ctrl-alt-del for windows.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert
    None

Jan 21, 2011
    QA Admin
    SoCal
    If not, did you give it admin permissions? They'd have to be removed before you can uninstall it.

6. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Android system apps should be called com.android.(something) not com.(something).android

The naming is mostly just a suggestion but if that is part of the system whoever wrote that needs a slap upside the head for not following basic coding conventions.

Basically, it's supposed to be a reverse of your domain name. So since my website is alostpacket.com then my apps have package names com.alostpacket.appname

But I looked at sec.com and that's some dude's linkedIn profile haha. So no idea. Sounds a bit fishy to me.

7. Brucew0617

None

Jan 27, 2011
    Earth
    Haven't meet such situation, I had installed so many times of TM, and also uninstall it so many time.

8. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010

According to this post, there are lots of applications with "sec.android" in the name.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/142501-task-killer-apps-safe-kill.html

I'm guessing that it is Samsung apps that are named this way, as every google search seems to come up with only Samsung devices mentioned.

alostpacket likes this.
  9. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Ah yeah maybe, could be Samsung Electronics Corp.

That coder still needs a slap upside the head though :)

10. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You mean, their whole application development group?

Anyway, it appears this is a pre-installed app - despite the fact that the OP's memory is unclear.

As mentioned, you would need to root to remove this app completely. Then again, if it's a task manager, not sure why you would want or need to?

11. alostpacket

None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Well no, I don't think they collectively decided to go against a 10 year old convention every Java programmer learns in their first 2 months of coding, but once one guy did in the beginning, he set them down that path.

I only am making fun of them because its a very useful convention that is adopted by 99% of the Java community for good reason.

It's also used in many other languages, C#, ActionScript, Scala, Objective C (I think) and I'm sure a bunch more I'm forgetting.

I also dont think they are bad programmers by any strecth of the imagination, but whoever made the decision claerly doesnt understand or appreciate why the convention is used. This isn't one of those very subjective conventions that everyone has differeing opinions on, but rather, probably the only one that everyone pretty much agrees on.

Anyways not to beat a dead horse (too late) I'm sure they are excellent coders, but that was a bonehead move :)