• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone pay for apps?

I have paid for several that I think were worth the money. One in particular I really like is ToMarket. It is the best grocery app I have found coming from a Palm phone to an android phone. And Splash ID. Some folks don't like it but I use it with the desktop companion to keep track of way more than just my credit card information. And the old standards as mentioned above...beautiful weather being one of them.

Upvote 0
I do buy the paid versions of apps, when appropriate. According to AppBrain Android Market - find the best Android Apps and Games , I have spent almost $30 on apps: god_kratos's Apps on the phone. However, there are a couple that I have bought outside of the market that are not included in that such as TiBU Pro (or donate or whatever he calls it...), LauncherPro Plus, and I think one other one, but cannot remember what it was.

Most apps have free versions and they are good. Some of them have features included in the paid version that warrant the purchase. Others (TiBU and LauncherPro specifically) are such great apps that I don't really even care about the paid features, but instead want to support the Dev's so that they are motivated to continue development of the apps.

If no one ever bought the paid apps, then the market would die. No dev's would ever want to code apps if they are never going to be compensated for their hard work.

Now, I did buy the paid version of Advanced Task Killer Pro for the auto kill feature. However, after about 3 months of use, I decided to disable it and see what happens. I don't use it any more. Now, that doesn't mean that I am upset about my purchase. This is because the Dev is really good at what he/she does and I am happy to support dev's who work hard to make quality apps.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

Kratos

Upvote 0
I've paid for or donated to Temp Monitor, Launcher Pro Plus, K9 Email, GTasks, Keepass, SetCPU, Sholes ROM, and ROM Manager. I plan to buy Subsonic when my free server license expires. The people who develop these tools are responsible for making my Droid as useful as it has become, and they deserve the recognition, the appreciation, and the reward. Let us all encourage them to keep going.

Upvote 0
The resurrection of this thread represents the (probably only) bad side of searching.

If you don't donate for some apps or ROMs, you're being cheap, IMO.
If you avoid any apps that require you to pay, you're a cheapskate, IMO.
If you fraudulently obtain apps that are supposed to be paid for, you're a scumbag, IMO.

Like almahix stated above, app builders are directly responsible for the great versatility of our phones.

Upvote 0
I, like those above, have no problem buying or donating for an app that works well and does what I want/need it to do. If I get the free version and like it I will upgrade to paid (if it's reasonably priced) or donate (I think they all should have donate options!).
I use Calendar Snooze and really like it, but I only use it for the LED reminder, I don't use all the functions. It's ad supported and I would buy it but it's $5.41...that is too much for an LED light. I would donate but there is no option to do that.
I will buy Angry Birds when it goes paid, I will buy PowerAMP too because I think they are great and will be worth the few dollars I spend.
I have bought apps that have later been reduced or are now free, I don't mind when that happens either.
Supporting devs is a good thing!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones