• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone remember this Egg Timer app?

TerraFirma69

May 25, 2019
1588063764464_20200428_184709.jpg 1588063767472_Screenshot_2020-04-28_184422.jpg

It's from a few years ago and is utterly superb in it's simplicity and ease of use. It's not around anymore and I'm trying to find something to replace it on my later devices.

Every timer I find seems to be a pain in the *ss to use, too many steps to get to the actual point of a kitchen type timer. I really wish developers knew the value of simplicity.

View attachment 149926 View attachment 149927

It's from a few years ago and is utterly superb in it's simplicity and ease of use. It's not around anymore and I'm trying to find something to replace it on my later devices.

Every timer I find seems to be a pain in the *ss to use, too many steps to get to the actual point of a kitchen type timer. I really wish developers knew the value of simplicity.

That app is available at aptoid:
Screenshot_20200428-030237.jpg

Upvote 0
I use Stopwatch and Timer by Jupiter Apps. It's easy and you can save multiple timers for counting down. Or start the stopwatch and count up.

I found it had far too many popup video ads, making it pretty much unusable for timing anything important.

For all of my timing requirements, like cooking rice, egg timing, student exams etc, I just use the stock timing app in my phone.

Upvote 0
Maybe I have the paid version, but I get no ads

I didn't see a paid version option. Usually there's an option in the app to upgrade to paid.

As soon as I reset the stop watch, it started playing a video ad for Shen Yun, from the Falun Dafa cult. Which is probably the last thing I want to be seeing, especially if some of my friends are nearby.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm lost. I looked at aptoid on chrome and I can't find that app. I've never heard of aptoid before. Is there an easy way to access it?
Maybe because it's spelled "aptoide", though I'd think most search engines would be able to work it out without the missing "e".

Actually I don't wholly trust aptoide - whatever claims they make about safety now they've been too lax in what they allow on their site in the past for me to ever feel comfortable with them (I don't generally belong in the "don't forget, don't forgive" camp, but computer security and politicians' actions are two exceptions). I've not found the app in the sites I trust more though.

But TBH those screen shots look ancient, so it's possible that the reason this app is no longer in the Play Store is that it doesn't meet the minimum API level requirements. Which also means it's possible that it won't work on a more recent device. Of course it's also possible that there was a different reason it was removed from the Play Store.

Upvote 0
Maybe because it's spelled "aptoide", though I'd think most search engines would be able to work it out without the missing "e".

Actually I don't wholly trust aptoide - whatever claims they make about safety now they've been too lax in what they allow on their site in the past for me to ever feel comfortable with them (I don't generally belong in the "don't forget, don't forgive" camp, but computer security and politicians' actions are two exceptions). I've not found the app in the sites I trust more though.

But TBH those screen shots look ancient, so it's possible that the reason this app is no longer in the Play Store is that it doesn't meet the minimum API level requirements. Which also means it's possible that it won't work on a more recent device. Of course it's also possible that there was a different reason it was removed from the Play Store.

I installed it for a couple of minutes to look at it. One reason that it may not show up in a search with the web interface is that the browser advertises itself and the OS, with version info. I ran the app before deleting, and got the pop-up that it was made for an older version, and might not work. Aptoide might use that when deciding what to show, and you're probably right about the play store.

Upvote 0
Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones