1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does background data use 3g data even in WiFi?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pafaz123, Jul 6, 2011.

1. pafaz123

pafaz123 Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    I just got an optimus one and i don't have a data plan, i wanted to know if i will get charged for using 3g data if i turn on the background data, i need to turn on background data to get on marketplace.

Advertisement

2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    No, if you have WIFI on, that's the data that is being used by your phone. Now if you lose your WIFI signal, your phone will revert back to 3G and the background data will use your 3G data. Make sure that your WIFI sleep policy is set to 'never' as by default on most phones, WIFI is turned off if your screen is turned off. Go to Menu -> setting -> WIFI setting -> click on menu ->advanced setting -> set 'wifi sleep policy' to 'Never'.

pritamassrani and shotgunner85 like this.
  3. pafaz123

pafaz123 Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    So now that i have done that i can go on the android market on wifi and i wont get charged.

4. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Yes :)

Also, on your phone if you go into the phone setting to see if you can toggle to just 2G:

Menu -> settings -> wireless & network settings -> mobile networks -> select network -> 2G only.

From my experience with my carrier, if you don't have a data plan, you can't use data. So without a data plan, I can't access anything from the internet without WiFi.

5. pafaz123

pafaz123 Lurker
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    Thank you!

6. Boolanger

Boolanger Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2011
    I;m pretty sure you can turn off mobile data as well under
    Menu -> settings -> wireless & network settings -> mobile networks ->Data enabled

I'd turn off the roaming one for good measure to. this way you should only be using data when you choose to

7. bunnybee

bunnybee Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    I'd love to do exactly this, but all I have in my WiFi settings are options 'WiFi' and 'Network Notification', no mention of any 'advanced settings', let alone 'wifi sleep policy'.

Got the phone yesterday, and even tho background data and data enabling are both disabled, something must still be running cause it already racked up a crazy bill.

Help would be much appreciated! Thanks guys.

8. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Hi Bunnybee :) Welcome to AndroidForums!

Damn...I really hate when carriers/OEM tweaked necessary ASOP codes/features *sigh*

I did a bit of Googling and came upon this app called Advance Wifi Lock that forces your WIFI to stay on even in sleep mode. I'm not sure if it'll work on your phone but you can give it a try.

Are you on WIFI constantly and don't need data much? Does the toggling to 2G, as described above, work for you? You can try an app on the market call apndroid This app is a 'hack' where it will add prefixes to your APN name so that the APN cannot be used to access your data. Was reading the reviews for the apndroid and it seems to be using pushair ads (ads in notification bar). Dev said he fixed this but if you see it, you can try this app, APN of-off widget. Reviews are good.

Hopefully that helps :)

-Roze-

9. bodude

bodude Lurker
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    I know this is an old thread but if you haven't found out how to set your p500's wifi to never turn off then try this.
    settings>wireless & networks>wi-fi settings then push your bottom left button and go advanced settings; you should find it in there.