1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does BT voice dialing work with official Froyo?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Special K, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Special K

Special K Member
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    I have a Motorola H700 that I'm using with my Captivate. When I was using it with my RAZR back in 2007, pushing the side button activated the voice prompt. When I use this headset with my Captivate, pushing that button does nothing.

A quick search reveals that BT voice dialing is apparently not supported in Android 2.1. I just have a question for anyone with a BT headset, a Captivate, and the official Froyo release - does voice dialing work now?

I find it hard to believe that a feature included in a phone released at the beginning of 2007 still hasn't been included in one in 2011.

As an aside I'm probably going to replace the H700 with a newer model anyway because its connection to the Captivate is always pretty hit or miss, but voice dial has never worked.

EDIT: Just did another search for new threads and apparently there is a 2.2.1 version of Android, in addition to 2.2? And apparently 2.2.1 supports voice dialing, but 2.2 still doesn't? It looks like there is a 3rd party app, VLingo, that can do it?

Advertisement

2. rockfrawg

rockfrawg Newbie
    None

Nov 3, 2010
    Fort Worth
    i tried messing around with Vlingo on my ride home...guess i didnt really figure it out because it seemed like a pretty big PITA. I'm gonna play with it a bit more and see if its worth its salt

3. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Let me know what you find. I've been wanting to be able to use BT voice dialing as well.

If all else fails, I know the Paragon custom rom supports it.

4. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    Froyo is supposed to have Bluetooth voice dialing built in. So you shouldn't have to use Vlingo to get it to work. I haven't tested it, so I can't be entirely certain.

I have been using Paragon for more than a month now and it has Bluetooth voice dialing, so I have no reason to back down to Stock Froyo.

5. BJROB2000

BJROB2000 Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    I just updated to android 2.2 on my Captivate. BT does not completely work for me. Called Samsung and they said that the 2.2 update does not support voice dialing. Reading the web, 2.2.1 does support it.

My BT on 2.2 is strange. When in a call the headset operates as it should. If you press the headset button to try to voice dial, the phone does wake up and asks you "who do you want to call?" and then the phone wakes up the bluetooth headset to listen to your spoken command. However, the BT microphone does not activate nor does the microphone on the Captivate. No sound input is initiated. And, so, voice dialing does not work!

6. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    There's no doubt that BT voice dialing does not work on the stock 2.2

7. GaryS1964

GaryS1964 Member

Dec 9, 2010
  8. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    thats right, 2.2 doesnt support it

9. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    This thread should be locked

10. jengle

jengle Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    I finally got Bluetooth voice control working today. I'm using Paragon 2.2.1 ROM. While voice commands worked, I could not do a 100% hands free operation. I am using Vlingo, but until I also installed an svox voice I didn't get a verbal answer from the phone. The only problem is that I get some feedback, and the initial voice info after I press the bt button is on the phone not through the headset.

The default android voice dialer requires you to touch the phone to start it (not legal in Canada or California).

Checked the vlingo website:

Bluetooth is fully supported for Vlingo 2.0 when using a headset that is A2DP compliant. Vlingo will speak to you and you will be able to speak your commands through the headset. Vlingo has successfully tested the following Bluetooth headsets with Vlingo and Vlingo InCar:

• Jabra Cruiser
    • Jabra Cruiser 2
    • Jabra Extreme
    • BlackBerry M-605
    • Aliph Prime Jawbone

11. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    ^^As you mentioned, you're on a 2.2.1 rom. The stock 2.2 does not support any sort of BT voice dialing afaik...including vlingo

12. mnemonicj

mnemonicj Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 21, 2010
    2.2 is supposed to support Bluetooth voice dialing, so Samsung must not have enabled the feature in their release.

From Android's 2.2 developer site: "Voice dialing over Bluetooth"
    Source: Android 2.2 Platform Highlights | Android Developers

jengle, I have been using Paragon for a couple months now and the Bluetooth voice dialing works great. Each one of your Bluetooth devices should have a voice command button sequence to initiate a voice command when your phone is paired and connected. Have you checked the manuals for your Bluetooth devices? On my Pioneer stereo, I hold a button for 3 seconds and then I get a voice prompt asking me to, "Speak now."

13. kbaybob

kbaybob Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    I just downloaded Froyo 2.2 onto my Samsung Epic and find that BT dialing works now. Sort of. When the call button on the bluetooth is pressed, the phone responds with questions on the screen asking which app I want to use, so I had to select one. Not exactly hands free. However, it is possible to set the desired application by default, and I tried TTS, which worked and does not require touching the handset. It is not very good at recognizing numbers at this point, however, so I will play with it and see if I can improve it or try another program by default.

14. kbaybob

kbaybob Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    So far the original voice dialer appears to be working best. I set that to be the default dialer and now I don't have to touch the phone. I tried Voice Dialer HF and Vlingo, and neither of them worked as well. Voice Dialer HF didn't work at all, and Vlingo would not send its prompts over the bluetooth, so perhaps I did not set it up properly, but doing so is not obvious. Voice dialer is straightforward and sends prompts and confirmations over the bluetooth device, so the phone can be in the glove box or wherever.

15. RickN2010

RickN2010 Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2010
    Danville, CA, USA
    I get the same behavior with Vlingo on 2.2 - but it had worked well before on 2.1 using the mike on the phone; now it doesn't voice dial at all unless the headset is turned off; then the phone mike works again. This is nuts! Is this a phone from 2005??!!

16. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    ^^^the BT headset has to have the media box unchecked in options so vlingo can hear thru the mic