1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does China Phone Hero H7000 has GPS?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ricardocorreia, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ricardocorreia

None

Nov 23, 2011
    Hi there!

I just bought China Phone Hero H7000 about two months ago, and I tried everything to make GPS work. But I got no success so far.

I googled all arround the internet, and I can't get much information about GPS on this phone, or people who actually bought this phone and tried to use GPS.

I bought my phone on dealextreme. You can google for it and search for h7000 if you want to see the specs.

As I said, I tried everything to make GPS work, but it seems that only A-GPS works, and for that I need to be using a data connection such as Wifi.
    I used a lot of application from Android market, for testing GPS function, and to fix GPS satellites position, to fix gps.conf, and file permissions. My phone is rooted.

Also tried some other ROMS for this phone, and I always got the same issue. GPS doesn't work without A-GPS turned on, and using a data connection.

With some applications from android market I can update satellites position, and I can see about 13 satellites, but I just can't connect to any of them.

Tried to connect with full view of the sky, and I live on the country side, so buildings and clouds and other stuff shouldn't be a problem. I tried it for hours, outside and I can't connect to any satellite. I'm from Portugal, and I already used the gps.conf settings for Europe, and also for Portugal. But no luck...

If I'm using A-GPS I can see my location on the map, but I can't get any coordinates. WIthout A-GPS nothing works at all.

I tried google maps, nDrive, Navigon and some other free and paid GPS softwares for Android. All of them (appart from google maps) just show "waiting for location" or "searching for GPS", even using A-GPS and a data connection.

I don't know anymore what I can try to make it work... Any ideas?

Does anyone bought this phone? Anyone with the same problem?
    Does this phone has GPS? Or does it have A-GPS only?

Sorry for the huge post. Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

2. ricardocorreia

None

Nov 23, 2011
  3. UglyDuck

UglyDuck Lurker
    None

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi Ricardo,
    Sorry, i cannot answer your question since i don't have the phone.
    But what you describe sounds like the device does not have a GPS receiver just like the apple ipad2 wifi, which is also just able to detect its position by wlan data.

But since i am interested in this dual sim phone, may i ask you about your overall impression? Are you satisfied with it, apart from the gps issue?

Thanks for any reply

4. johnpfoley

johnpfoley Lurker
    None

Aug 14, 2013
    I have this phone (mine is red). The first one I got I was sure had a defective GPS radio, so I sent it back. The second one seemed defective as well, but not believing that, I perservered. Get it fully charged, and keep it plugged in (the GPS sucks power like mad when it is scanning). Go outside (the antennae is weak). start up some gps search application and let it go. ( liked "data monitor" and "GPS Status". with data monitor you can see which of the satelites in has a fix on by the signal to noise ratio and I think it takes three before it will give you your location. It takes quite some time for it to get the hang of where the satellites are.

When I power on the gps it can take a while to find the satelites (like automobile gps units without an external antennae).

I'm not sure if the phone is predictive of where to look for the satelites based on the clock once you get it to recongnize them, but subsequently it will find the gps location much more quickly. I've had marginal results getting it to do much of substance indoors though. I just turned it on now, and it took about a minute or two to find my location (a-gps off) it may have taken an hour the first time.

I have not fiddled enough with a-gps on and off the understand how it does or doesn't help (or lies and locates you strictly by your IP address).

Right now the bigger challenge you will have is that it is not supported by "google play services" which means that lots of things in the android market will not work on the phone now. (I'm working to figure that out now...)