• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does contact search suck this bad?

merrill77

Jan 16, 2009
I keep thinking I must be overlooking something...yet I can't seem to get the contact search to work, beyond searching the first name and last name fields. I want to be able to search by organization and nickname as well. This works fine in the browser with Google contacts, but in the phone/contacts app in Android (2.0, Droid), it doesn't work. I could do this search on my Pilot 1000 in 1995. Could a Google search function really be this bad? Tell me it isn't so! What am I missing?

TIA,
Chris

I just did a search using my company name and it showed me contacts associated with the company.

The thing I don't like about the search is that I can't figure out how to get the virtual keyboard to show. I have to use the slide out one to search.

When you select search {Either by the Search key or via an icon on screen} -> It will bring up the search box -> Now tap the Entry box {where you type text} -> It should hopefully bring up the Keyboard :)

Upvote 0
I just did a search using my company name and it showed me contacts associated with the company.

The thing I don't like about the search is that I can't figure out how to get the virtual keyboard to show. I have to use the slide out one to search.

That's so strange. What device/android version are you on? For me, it works on some contacts but not others. On some, I have only an organization - no first/last name. I thought that might be the problem, but it works on one but not another.

Can anyone search on nickname?

BTW, if you have a search button (droid does), that will bring up the virtual keyboard, at least on the droid it does.

Upvote 0
I keep thinking I must be overlooking something...yet I can't seem to get the contact search to work, beyond searching the first name and last name fields. I want to be able to search by organization and nickname as well. This works fine in the browser with Google contacts, but in the phone/contacts app in Android (2.0, Droid), it doesn't work. I could do this search on my Pilot 1000 in 1995. Could a Google search function really be this bad? Tell me it isn't so! What am I missing?

TIA,
Chris
I have the same search contacts by company name issue and have yet to find a reasonable app or solution.

I have over 1600 contacts. I have over 30 contacts at the same company so searching by name doesn't get it. When I do search contacts by company name the search may return 7 results out of a total of 35. This is such a basic feature - I can't believe that Google overlooked this feature.

Upvote 0
Aurora is an invaluable search app that I discovered when I noticed the same problem as others here. I was flabbergasted that a smartphone by "the ad company formerly known as a search company" would only search names of contacts and ignore company or address data in my phone's database.

Aurora searches text fields across your entire Android phone database. If is a free app in the marketplace. More info is at their website:

Aurora Device Search

Hope that helps. :)

I have the same search contacts by company name issue and have yet to find a reasonable app or solution.

I have over 1600 contacts. I have over 30 contacts at the same company so searching by name doesn't get it. When I do search contacts by company name the search may return 7 results out of a total of 35. This is such a basic feature - I can't believe that Google overlooked this feature.

Reactions: Tumeg and bluenova
Upvote 0
Another app is contact search+. I asked this exact same question a little while ago and ended up settling on contact search+. The main reason was because if you follow the directions that comes with it, the search results come up just like they do now, but they include searching your postal addresses, organizations and notes in your contacts. If you need nicknames, this one doesn't do that unless you were to put their nicknames in the notes. On contact search+, after your first search you have to scroll to the bottom of your search results and click on "more results". After the 1st search you won't have to do that anymore. My understanding with the other programs, you have to go to the "more results" every time, not just the 1st. This app is 99 cents also while the others are free.

Hope this helps with your problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones