1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does Erase all data (factory reset) wipe data completely - without being able to recover later?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bcb13584090, Mar 4, 2019.

1. bcb13584090

bcb13584090 Lurker

As far as I've heard, normally deleted files on a phone can be recovered later using recovery software. But if I used "Erase all data (factory reset)", would I still be able to recover wiped files after erasure? This option is found in Android One under Settings -> System -> Reset Options

Advertisement

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Nope
    Once factory reset is done everything that was on the phone is gone for good.
    Using a file manager though, you can copy your documents, photos and videos to a external SD card first.
    Also if using a Gmail account, you can recover everything from the play store such as apps, and if you're using Google photos they will be saved also.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Only if the phone has unencrypted FAT formatted internal storage. But that would have to be something really old now. Since Android 4.x I believe, the norm for phones and tablets is AES256 encrypted EXT4 formatted internal. Which is really a secure erase for anything is deleted. it effectively becomes white noise. And if the phone is reset, and the decryption key is erased, again what was stored there just becomes white noise. Unless you got a supercomputer and something like 100,000 years, to try and brute force the encryption. .

MoodyBlues and lvt like this.
  4. lvt

lvt Android Expert

And if there is a power outage during the decryption process, you will have to start all over again, another 100,000 years :)

mikedt, Dannydet and MoodyBlues like this.