1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does every phone manufacturer have an own special interface?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by mcgfc, May 10, 2012.

1. mcgfc

mcgfc Lurker
    None

May 10, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    the question I have may seem ridiculous, but since I started interesting myself for Android phones today (yes, I've never even considered touching one before...) I'm a total noob and therefore have no idea what the Android world is like (I've been using an iPhone for 4 years now, and I'm tired of all the restrictions Apple puts on its consumers).
    I've noticed on many of the phone pictures that every manufacturer seems to have an own Android interface which is different from all the other ones (for example HTC always has a big clock on the home screen, Samsung has a weather app thing, etc.). Is this true (and if yes, which manufacturer has the best interface?) or is it just a result of the vast customization possibilities you have with Android?
    I really have to get used again to the fact that there are more than one manufacturers out there competing with each other. Life was quite easy not having to choose ^^

That's all for starters I guess. Thx in advance (and sorry for my English, I'm not a native speaker)

Advertisement

2. mpw

mpw Android Expert
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    the past
    Most will have their own UI over the standard Android, for better or worse, but the Nexus range uses stock Android direct from Google.

I'm sure each have their own champions for different reasons, try a few and see if there's one you like; apps will work pretty much across the board.

3. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love
    None

May 14, 2010
    Female
    AZ
    First of all, Welcome to Android forums! We are glad you have found us.:)
    Most of the Android phone manfacturers have their own interface, and most of them are quite good. HTC has "Sense", Samsung has "Touchwiz", and Motorola has "Motoblur", etc. As far as which one is best, that depends on your personal tastes, and what you use your phone for the most. The best way to see them in action is to visit your provider, and play with each one for awhile to see what you prefer.
    With Android, there are always lots of choices to be made, and I understand that coming from Apple, that can come across a bit overwhelming, but once you relax and have fun with Android, and it's choices, you will wonder how you ever lived so long without it.
    For example, if you get a phone and you are not thrilled with the original interface, you can change that by downloading and installing another interface. They are called Launchers, and there are so many good ones to choose from in the Google Playstore. That just scratches the surface of the customization of Android. You have the freedom of choice with just about everything on an Android.
    Try it out at you service provider, and let us know what you think.:)

4. marc12868

marc12868 Android Expert

Oct 19, 2011
    Male
    Tier 2 Tech Support @ At&t
    Spokane Valley, Washington
    Like said above most have their own UI. Not all the phones made by that manufacturer will have a special UI though. I know HTC has Sense, Samsung has Touchwiz, Sony has there special one, LG has their special one, Motorola has Motoblur. I'm not sure which other companies have their own UI. And to say what is the best is more of personal preference. I like Sense, but a lot of people hate it. Touchwiz I haven't really tried, but it seems fairly good, again a lot of people hate it. I haven't tried any other overlays though. I would try to see if you can test some different phones out and see if you like the different UIs, if not you can always get a phone that has stock android with no overlays.