• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root does everything work on GV 1.4 ?

No, you have to have an existing theme chooser apk to upload. I use the honeybread one. Honeycomb Theme - CM7 Theme - Alpha 4 - xda-developers

Just rename the apk to what you want to call the theme. Mine are called dannycomb and dannycombv2

It replaces the standard battery but not sure about the modified ones. You may need to flash the original framework in villainsetup

Upvote 0
I promise you my explanation is correct. Your display is using more power than mine as yours is brighter.

I'm not disagreeing with that.

There's nothing particularly wrong with your results. They look perfectly normal to me

It's all relative and depends on usage.

The part that doesn't make sense is this:

1) Before rooting the phone, using Stock ROM, my display used less than 10% of the battery during normal daily usage (2-2.5 hours screen on usually).
2) After rooting the phone, using GV 1.4, my display is using a very high (over 70% of the battery) during daily usage (same amount of hours on).
3) Battery life and usage patterns have not dramatically changed.

So, if you compare case 1 and 2, you would expect (if all the settings on the phone are equal regarding brightness) that I should be getting significantly improved battery life out of my phone. If what used to be 10% is now 70%, that means everything else using the battery is sucking a lot less juice. (This is expected on a custom ROM over stock though, right?)

Why am I not seeing the drastic improvement then?

The only thing I could think of is that something in my settings on the new ROM is causing more power drain when using the display. (That, or the battery meter is drastically different between the two ROMS, and at least one is very very inaccurate.)

So, in case 1 above I was using Auto Brightness all the time.
In case 2, I was using Auto Brightness but I had lowered the set levels using the CM settings.

I thought that lower levels (with the screen noticeably less bright) would conserve battery.

Oddly, I did a test and this doesn't seem to be the case. I unchecked the box to use the Custom Settings, and now have my phone using the default Auto Brightness - and so far, I notice that the battery life is significantly better. (The % used by display is still high, but the charge in my battery isn't decreasing so rapidly.)

I wonder if there is something about CM metering with the light sensor that pulls more juice than normal? Or, is it possible I turned on another setting somewhere which did this?

I don't understand what many of these things are. For example, what is "Light Sensor Filter"? I haven't been using that. Should I? Also, what is the "Allow light decrease"? I tried using that a bit, but saw the screen brightness changing all the time so I disabled it after only a half hour or so.

I think I'll just leave the custom light levels unchecked unless someone can offer an explanation/solution.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones