• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does facebook chat drain battery quickly?

martytarty

Jan 19, 2011
I started work at 09:00am, my battery was about 99% full, 2 hours later I check my phone and all of a sudden I only have 48% left

Yesterday evening I was chatting on my official Facebook app and when I finished I just pressed back button until I was out of the app, I woke up this morning while phone was still on charge and noticed a chat message from my nephew had appeared in my notification bar which I thought was weird but didn't think to actually do anything about it but obviously I must have been logged in chat overnight and right up to the moment I checked my phone again at work.

I have since discovered the "go offline" option on Facebook chat within the app

My question is this, does leaving or forgetting to log out of chat on Facebook app drain the battery ?

As things stand I can only assume its the chat feature that's drained it

I would say without actually logging out of the app, (If possible) that it continually poles the server in the background. Until I rooted and flashed my another ROM on my phone, I had no idea how many apps stay running in the background. However task killers I don't believe are a good thing to run on a nix based operating system though. I would check to see if there is a way to log out of the app so it doesn't keep the process running in the background. I use IMO for fb chat so I can't say anything about the official app, and whether you can log out of it.

Upvote 0
Just go offline from the live chat bit. You can change general notifications update period in the menu screen too. No noticeable impact on battery life staying logged in the app but with chat off. Just remember to go offline for chat when you don't use it. I also disabled always on data. Google apps still sync but it stops some apps syncing while the phone is sleeping. Works for me and how I use my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones