1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root does flashing delete apps/data? im confused (feel dumb)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ianlmt, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Ianlmt

Ianlmt Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Just working through putting the amon ra recovery instead of the old one, now i am about to try out mik 2.55 for the first go at ROM'ing.. but before I do I was reading the FAQ and am at the part before changing roms where it is talking about flashing for roms and kernels (still confused on the kernel thing ... only understand roms so far)...

soif I do a wipe with this :

vr superwipe: ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip.

as recommended in the faq, will it mess anything up? I have titanium backup pro but still need to learn to use it (5 mins into it.. lol)...

thanks for any help !

Advertisement

2. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    No it will not "mess things up" you may have problems if you don't wipe. Titanium backup is easy once you read the instructions Just make sure you do a nandroid backup before trying to install a new rom

ocnbrze, Ianlmt and DaRayvn like this.
  3. Ianlmt

Ianlmt Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    thank youuuuuuuuuuuu

4. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids
    before you flash a rom, MAKE SURE you have a nandroid of your stock recovery with your wimax keys and transfer it over to your computer in a safe place....you may need it later and without your wimax keys, no more 4g...

when you get to the point where your gonna flash, first thing you do is put the rom you want to use on the root of ur sd card...then go into the wipe option in your recovery and wipe the cache, dalvik cache, and data...(i do them 3x each) then, go into the flash zip from sd option in your recovery and flash the superwipe zip....then you will have a clean phone to install a rom...

if your using titanium backup pro, and you want to save any apps that you've downloaded off the market, then go into the backup/restore tab and look for the market apps you downloaded then click on it and you'll see an option for backup..just select that...make sure you do this before you do an wiping or your gonna lose it all....

ocnbrze and Ianlmt like this.
  5. Ianlmt

Ianlmt Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011

Im not sure if this suits the same purpose but I have been copy and pasting my ENTIRE SD card to files on my cpu, so i have one that is preroot. now one that is postroot1...next will be 2 and so on... or is that overkill?

6. DaRayvn

DaRayvn Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 15, 2011
    Grand Rapids
    the preroot is the only one you should REALLY be concerned about, just in case you ever have to bring your phone back to sprint....but copying your sd card over to your computer is not the same thing as a nandroid....a nandroid you make in the Amon Ra recovery....it makes like an image of your rom so like i said above if you have to have ur phone serviced or replaced, then you can restore the stock rom, and you'll have to unroot your phone...

nandroids are very important...say you flash a rom, and you mess something up in the process, you can always restore a nandroid to the point before you flashed another rom or if you put any mods in it...this way you dont have to go through the whole reflashing and restoring process...

Ianlmt, disc golfin and ocnbrze like this.
  7. Ianlmt

Ianlmt Member
    None

Sep 29, 2011

yeah the nandroid backups are the postroot folder on my desktop :) along with tiB data :)

just got amon ra and soooooooo happy i did... way better!

8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    nice!!!! much better recovery. just make sure to make a nandroid backup(i know the we keep saying it, but it is very important) and also make sure that you check wimax when making a nandroid backup. you do not have to do it all the time, but you should have at least one backup with it on your computer or somewhere safe. there is a small chance you could loose it and you will not have any 4g, so keep it safe.

now go and get your flash on:D

Tags: