• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does G1 hardware support multi touch?

Is the multitouch feature disabled at the (android os)software level?

The screen of the G1 is capacitive.

Are all capacitive screens multitouch capable at hardware level?

Or is this just a rumour?

I can't tell you whether or not the hardware is capable of it, but the UI software doesn't appear to implementing any kind of multi-touch.

It IS a very finger friendly UI though. Inertial finger drag scrolling in lists (ie. swipe your finger on the list, and the list scrolls by like a physical device that has momentum) instead of scroll bar scrolling, things like that. Finger drag scrolling in the web browser, etc.

But, you don't zoom in/out by pinching and unpinching. Instead, when you're dragging around the browser screen, there's a translucent zoom in and zoom out button in the lower center part of the screen.

Definitely a touch screen, definitely a finger friendly UI. Just not multi-touch, as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
From what i know about the hardware there is no difference between a multi-touch and non multi-touch screen. Which is why apple is able to, with upgrades add additional functions that use additional fingers.

if you put 2 fingers on the screen in 2 places the screen will see 2 points of contact. A non multi touch just doesn't know what to do with 2 points, so it treats it as one, or at least tries to.

Try this. With your phone open bring up the app menu with one finger, hold it someplace on the screen then place another finger somewhere else, let go with the first. The menu will jump to that point.

I think multi-touch will come to the device, seeing how MS phones will be getting it, so it doesn't look like there are any patents in the way.

Upvote 0
my understanding is that the hardware is able to use multitouch, but Android Development skipped it on this run because they were concerned with a potential lawsuit from Apple.
Apple has some part of the multitouch patented. Some have said it is specific gestures such as pinching and something else.

Upvote 0
my understanding is that the hardware is able to use multitouch, but Android Development skipped it on this run because they were concerned with a potential lawsuit from Apple.
Apple has some part of the multitouch patented. Some have said it is specific gestures such as pinching and something else.

Then any developer can leave the function and usage up to the end user.

For example launch a multi-touch application that allows the user to define the function, that way Apple, if granted their patent or if they already have it, cannot sue. Multi-touch is definitely not an apple invention but if their pinch is, don't implement it.

That way if someone wants to swirl their finger clockwise to zoom in they can, no harm done. if they decide to pinch to zoom then thats their choice.. apple will never find out.

Upvote 0
Then any developer can leave the function and usage up to the end user.

For example launch a multi-touch application that allows the user to define the function, that way Apple, if granted their patent or if they already have it, cannot sue. Multi-touch is definitely not an apple invention but if their pinch is, don't implement it.

That way if someone wants to swirl their finger clockwise to zoom in they can, no harm done. if they decide to pinch to zoom then thats their choice.. apple will never find out.

Good point, except that swirling does not require two fingers. You can do that right now if any of the devs were able to use that gesture.

I haven't confirmed any of my information.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the Microsoft Touch Table use the same "pinch" motion to zoom in and out?

Apple just patent's everything because they are afraid of a little competition. But I don't see how you can put a patent on something as simple as a "pinch" gesture.

i think it was microsoft's pen tablet that had this multi-touch feature..

i guess apple is just getting back for their keyboard/mouse interface lol..

Upvote 0
That's a little bit of an understatement. Apple patented the shit out of multitouch and just made it really really hard for other software companies to figure out a way to do it that does not completely suck in the end user experience.

From what I read they didn't quote the multi-touch technology itself, but the gestures such as the pinch.

Upvote 0
I some app which will allow us to do multi touch will come out later. It would probably need to be done manually since it would be removed or something from the Android market.

I was following another phone earlier and that phone didn't end up with multi touch cause of the patients that Apple put in place. Its *** that they want to stop competitors like this, sure if they don't say how they did it, that would be fine. But not allowing something which really isn't much of an idea from Apple, but more something which technology hasn't allowed us to do previously. Just cause they did it first shouldn't mean nobody else can. Fatcats.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones