1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Does Google account backup everything?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by louis2008, Aug 25, 2017.

1. louis2008

louis2008 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2015
    Hello

I'd like to know if a Google account will backup EVERYTHING created on a phone? Yes everything that includes the wechat or whatsapp chat history , bookmark saved on the built-in browser, appointments created in the calender, contacts etc...??

Will it only backup photos and videos or will it miss anything in the phone?

I am asking this question because I work and store data intensively with my Android mobile phone
    and I am wondering if I can get back EVERYTHING in case my phone is lost or stolen

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    No, it does not back up everything. It will back up contacts, calendar etc if they are synced with Google, but it won't back up those that are not synced. I absolutely would not count on it backing up WhatsApp chat history unless you use the backup feature in the WhatsApp app. In principle it can, if you choose the option, back up app data, but I don't know that I trust it to get everything, or to restore it to a different device (which is what you need if your phone is lost or stolen).

So personally I make my own backups, rather than assume that Big Brother will do it for me (and I never see any harm in having more than one backup available).

3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The backup option that Google includes in Android really does need to include a lot more descriptive details as to what it covers, and more importantly, what it does not. For the most part it will backup and restore basic Google settings and that's about it. If you compare this to Apple's iOS where you can do a complete, comprehensive restore of all your data using iCloud or iTunes installed on a Mac or PC, the Google backup/restore isn't even the same category.

As you've got a J5, take a look into setting up Samsung's Smart Switch. You'll need to install the app on your phone and the corresponding application on your Mac or PC.
    https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-smart-switch/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover&hl=en
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/app/smart-switch
    (If you're running Linux, Samsung doesn't have a native Smart Switch version. I've tried using Wine without any luck, but using something like VirtualBox works.)