1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does Google charge a dollar for every app you buy?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by revtime, Oct 28, 2009.

  1. revtime

    revtime Well-Known Member
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    36
    Posts:
    173
    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2009

    Oct 13, 2009
    173
    7
    36
    Just curious, I have a charge from Google for a buck, over and above the dollar I paid for the app.
     

    Advertisement

  2. Edamame Guy

    Edamame Guy Newbie
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    35
    Posts:
    19
    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2009

    That doesnt make sense. Whatever the market says should be what you were charged... Atleast thats my experience with it.
     
  3. kabbie_mcfeely

    kabbie_mcfeely Android Enthusiast
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    61
    Posts:
    547
    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2009

    Jan 14, 2009
    547
    6
    61
    My card did that a couple of times. Havent done it in a while though.

    Just watch your account and it should go back on. Its just to make sure you have a valid account.

    A lot of hotels do the same thing.
     
  4. Carl C

    Carl C Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    238
    Posts:
    6,062
    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009

    Sep 11, 2009
    6,062
    38
    238
    Student
    London
    This happened to me the first time I bought an app. They took
     
  5. umshamrock

    umshamrock Well-Known Member
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    87
    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2009

    Sep 28, 2009
    87
    1
    16
    plymouth, uk
    hi
    i have bought three apps and paid with my UK debit card via google checkout. each time i have been charge a
     
  6. YankeeDudeL

    YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    213
    Posts:
    2,170
    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009

    Oct 25, 2009
    2,170
    516
    213
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Hey guys, I'm looking forward to my first foray into Android (and smartphones as a whole) w/ the Droid.

    Do you have to pay for all apps? Or our there more than a few decent apps worth having that don't have a charge? Also, when you buy an app, is it applied to your phone bill, or do you have to have something akin to PayPal?
     
  7. RBolduc625

    RBolduc625 Lurker
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    5
    Posts:
    2
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2009

    Nov 3, 2009
    2
    0
    5
    The buck that your cards are being charged is just so the Android store can verify that your account at whatever bank you say you have does indeed exist. it would be posted as a memo purchase but never actually charge your account.

    This SHOULD only happen the first time.
     
  8. mrqs

    mrqs Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    128
    Posts:
    1,446
    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2009

    there's a lot of good free apps on the market (as well as bad of course), i haven't paid for a single one
     
  9. YankeeDudeL

    YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    213
    Posts:
    2,170
    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009

    Oct 25, 2009
    2,170
    516
    213
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Thanks a lot!

    I currently have an LG Dare and b/c of it being an all touch phone, it often drew comparisons (however unfairly) to the iDont (haha, my first time using that term). One of the consensus gripes was the lack of apps and the pricing of any of the decent ones. They would cost anywhere from $2 to $20 dollars, and many were monthly charges.
     
  10. HTC magic

    HTC magic Lurker
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    5
    Posts:
    8
    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009

    Oct 30, 2009
    8
    0
    5
    70% of the money the app is bought for goes to the developer and the other 30% to the carrier.

    So mabye the price we see is what we pay the developer, so like they've calculated it.

    (Thanks to those who corrected my error, I couldn't remember wether it was google or not got the money so I said google to compensate for this)
     
  11. dkaufman1

    dkaufman1 Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    118
    Posts:
    1,202
    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008

    Oct 24, 2008
    1,202
    29
    118
    Android Scientists
    The Lab
    There are more than 10K apps in the Market today. Not all are available in every country though right now.

    Apps that cost money via the market are the full retail/money collected. Currently you use Google Checkout to make a purchase. The app price is set by the developer. The app revenue share is split between the dev and the carrier. Google does not share in it. Most goes to the developer, if you like a lite version, support the dev.

    In the future it appears Tmobile will be the first company to allow you to bill your mobile account, by passing Google Checkout.
     

Share This Page

Loading...