• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does Google Navigation work without internet?

After seeing the image of Google selling the unlocked version of the Nexus One, I'm intrigued to buy one. However, I'm wondering if Google navigation will work without internet as I don't plan on buying a data plan. If Google navigation does work, can you tell me what features, if any, are lacking because of the loss of internet.

I understand that this cannot answered by a person without a Nexus One, since its not released yet, but does anyone with a Motorola Milestone know the answer?

Thanks!

No Gmail, no contact sync (can you even enter contacts without setting up a Google account?), no calendar, no barcode scanner, no browser, no motonav, no Google Maps (with or without navigation), no Google Talk, no market, no voice search, no youtube.

And that's just the default apps.

Things that will work: Phone calls, SMS, playing music.

An Android phone without a data plan of some sort is more than a little crippled.

Upvote 0
No Gmail, no contact sync (can you even enter contacts without setting up a Google account?), no calendar, no barcode scanner, no browser, no motonav, no Google Maps (with or without navigation), no Google Talk, no market, no voice search, no youtube.

And that's just the default apps.

Things that will work: Phone calls, SMS, playing music.

An Android phone without a data plan of some sort is more than a little crippled.

Every one of those things will work just fine over WiFi won't they? I am in WiFi 99% of my life. I am planning to buy a NexusOne and add it to my AT&T family plan for $9.99/month without a data plan. It would be nice to know if I could set up a google navigation route while in WiFi and have the phone cache the route/turn info. I know it's not quite as useful in case we get off course, but it's still somewhat useful.

Upvote 0
After seeing the image of Google selling the unlocked version of the Nexus One, I'm intrigued to buy one. However, I'm wondering if Google navigation will work without internet as I don't plan on buying a data plan. If Google navigation does work, can you tell me what features, if any, are lacking because of the loss of internet.

I understand that this cannot answered by a person without a Nexus One, since its not released yet, but does anyone with a Motorola Milestone know the answer?

Thanks!

Here's a thread at a different site discussing options to cache google maps:
Maps to Cache/SD? - Android Community Forums

You may find something useful in there.

Upvote 0
Those features would with WiFi work yes, but AT&T and all the other US carriers will not provision service for a smartphones without including a smartphone data plan. So in essence you can't get even voice service without having a data plan provisioned.....

I bought unlocked Milestone to use in U.S. (believe it was sourced from UK). I popped in my t-mobile SIM card and was instantly able to get voice service and texting. Data service is optional and I have since added it ($25 per month). Does not work on 3G, but does work on the Edge (slower). Defaults to Wifi when available. Had to get them to configure APN settings before data service would work.

Upvote 0
Every one of those things will work just fine over WiFi won't they? I am in WiFi 99% of my life. I am planning to buy a NexusOne and add it to my AT&T family plan for $9.99/month without a data plan. It would be nice to know if I could set up a google navigation route while in WiFi and have the phone cache the route/turn info. I know it's not quite as useful in case we get off course, but it's still somewhat useful.

When you are wifi connected, Google maps will display your location as well as allow you to scroll to whereever you want. I reside in U.S. but am currently in UK and google is loading UK maps. Problem is that evertime you scroll to a different location on the screen, google updates display using data dowloaded via internet so without data connection it will not update display. Don't know if it will store route info to access while you are on the road, didn't try it.

Upvote 0
as long as you've "scrolled" through the entire map while you are on wifi..you should be fine...however, you will not be able to zoom in/out..as that will reset your cache.
thats just for regular maps..

not sure abt street view...i doubt that will work.

I'm not even sure that would work - I don't know if previous map parts you've viewed are cached to the phone. I think a data connection is required in order to update any map movement. Hopefully in the future Google will release downloadable map files so we can finally use our phones like a regular standalone GPS unit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones