• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does GPS really use that much battery??

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
SkyRaider 3.2
Kings #5
Stock Radio
SetCpu: Screen Off 422/245

I charged my phone while it was off last night. Woke up and turned it on and left it on my desk. It went untouched for 2 hours! No phone calls or usage. Just the usual email sync. No news or stock sync.

WiFi was ON the entire time!!

When i picked my phone up 2 hours later the battery was at 86%. I then noticed i left GPS turned on from the last time i used it last night for navigation.

But it wasnt being used! It was just on. It was the only thing on lol.

So i was at 50% processor power thanks to SetCpu, but my phone still lost 7% per hour? That seems a bit crazy, no?

Edit, and the fact that i charged with the phone off, according to all of the "bump charge" threads this should have given me a small boost in stored battery.

If the GPS isn't actively being used (you'll see the GPS icon in the notifications bar) then it doesn't draw power. I leave my GPS (and WiFi and bluetooth) on all the time without draining my battery. Note that I'm on an HTC Eris as opposed to an Incredible, but that shouldn't make a difference in this instance. My phone has much less horsepower compared to yours, so if anything I'd expect a larger drain my phone.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. Seems it started after I rooted the phone. I have a log cat going with the phone charging. Every 5 minutes, the GPS location is requested by LocationManager, net.dinglish.android.taskerm, lib_locapi and VzwLocationManagerService

Not sure why. It really sucks as I used to have it on all the time and the only time it came on is when I used an app that requested it. It runs by itself now.

Going to try and uninstall Tasker to see if that maks a difference because I have the phone locator going through Tasker with a text enabled event.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones