1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Does having "use wireless networks" checked use data?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by richie bricks, Mar 9, 2011.

1. richie bricks

richie bricks Lurker
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Hey guys, just got a new atrix and its my very first android phone so im still learning the learning curve. i recently found out the hard way that my phone constantly uses data and now my 200 mb limit is almost met within 1 week of use. I've turned off background data, and regular data (unchecked enable data and roaming) and ive unchecked my gps and wireless networks location.

i have google latitude and i have a theory that if i leave my "use wireless networks" checked google latitude will constantly update my position and send data. I have recently signed out of latitude.

i want to know if i check "use wireless networks" on my atrix, will it use data even though i have logged out of latitude? I also notice that maps is always running... if im logged out of latitude, will maps constantly sync when i have "wireless networks" checked?

Thank you to all who read this and help me! im just a new android/smartphone user who's still excited and wants to know the ins and outs of his phone!

Advertisement

2. ScuroRaven

ScuroRaven Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    Yes, I do believe it uses a little date. Not 100% sure though.
    what it does is helps location VIA the towers instead of GPS.

3. sionghua

sionghua Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    I have just disabled it and notice a huge drop in data usage, mainly by the Android System process. You can tell which process is using data by installing My Data Manager.