• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Huawei Ascend GPS function work without a wireless hotspot ?

veggiegrrrl

Jan 26, 2011
Does Huawei Ascend (on METRO PCS) GPS function work without a wireless hotspot ? I mean, if I am in the middle of nowhere, without internet connectivity, can I still use the GPS function? Please let me know ASAP as I have a long ugly drive tomorrow with multiple stops. I have Metro Navigator but I only connect to the net via open networks/hotspots and those aren't easy to find.
Thanks,
Amy

Yes.
Switch GPS locating on, and program your route before you start, while you have internet connection over WiFi or 3G. Leave GPS locating on and start driving. Whether you're in 3G range or on a WiFi hotspot or not makes no difference. They are not needed for navigation. GPS is, of course.

In fact, if you're not within 3G range on your trip, you might as well switch to Airplane Mode, to conserve the battery. There's no sense in the 3G and WiFi processes consuming power when you can't use them anyway, is there?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones