1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Does ICS Fix/Improve GPS performance with the Prime

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gooser91, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Gooser91

Gooser91 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2011
    I sent my prime in for repair two days ago, just got confirmation it was delivered to their repair center so I should have it back in about a week (was told once they got it, it would be back in my hands at 7 days the very latest).

I sent my transformer in because I had 1-10 dead pixels depending on the lighting/backlighting and restarts, so I've yet to download ICS.

I saw on another forum that someone with a bad pixel sent it in, and mentioned that the GPS didn't work, and the CSR said the GPS would be fixed while being repaired. The person responded later that everyone was now working so I made sure to list mediocre WIFI performance and very poor GPS on the description of the problem. Hoping it comes back with a new display, and working GPS! fingers crossed but I highly doubt it comes back fixed (unless they cut an hole in the back panel and add a plastic window, which I'd be more than happy to have done if it meant a working GPS)

Wondering if people with ICS could test their GPS and report back on how it works?

Thank you!

Advertisement

2. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Personally before I returned ours they all got signals for stationary purposes but none would hold a signal for navigation. My neighbor still has his and had the same results before and after ICS.

They might actually be able to improve signal enough for those reporting no GPS signal at all with some tweaking but I would not expect a complete GPS fix from software when they admit the flaw and remove the feature from the spec list.

Gooser91 likes this.
  3. Gooser91

None

Dec 10, 2011
    My gps was able to only see 1 satellite every once in a great while so, it was almost non existent. I will report back once I receive my prime back from repairs. From what I've read, their repairs are fast and accurate so fingers are crossed.

Even without a gps I'm not returning it. I won't pay 100 more for a tablet, no matter how good. I'd buy an ultra book long before 600 for a tab and 150 for a keyboard.

4. houtx1

houtx1 Newbie
    None

May 10, 2010
    ditto!

BTW, what were you getting repaired?

5. andoird213

andoird213 Android Expert
    None

Oct 30, 2011
    Male
    I noticed both GPS and Wifi speeds are MUCH improved. Wifi I now have absolutely no issue with, GPS isnt amazing but there are ways to circumvent that via apps or just using my phone which is what I'd do anyway :p. It definitely did improve e though. Establishing a lock much quicker

6. Gooser91

None

Dec 10, 2011
    I'm having the screen replaced because of dead pixels, and I mentioned on the description of the problem the GPS because on a different forum someone claimed there is a fix and sending it in helped.

We will see though, I am very doubtful, but will report back once I've got it back.

7. rdalev

rdalev Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    AMT
    Fayette, Ga.
    Sent an email to Asus asking about the GPS issue and what they were going to do about it. In it, I stated that I realized that they had removed GPS from the prime spec sheet, but when I had purchased mine it was listed as a feature that said "GPS Capable" and not "GPS Limited!"

Will probably delete the email I sent them , but will update, if I get any type of reply............said it could take up to 4 days to respond !

Again, I believe all prime owners who purchased their prime before Asus took gps off the spec sheet, should get some type of compensation, whether it be rebate checks, discounts on docks or free shipping both ways to fix the gps issue !

Gooser91 likes this.
  8. seven7

seven7 Lurker
    None

Jan 12, 2012
    London
    asus have admitted there is design flaw with the TP.

the ICS update probably just puts more power into the wifi/gps to improve the performance which obviously would decrease the battery life

*just my theory!*

9. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    Quite possibly. They would just need to turn up the gain on the antenna. Which is what your phone does automatically when it has a weak signal....which is why your battery drains with a weak signal. Not an issue so much with GPS because it is usually off. Wifi on the other hand....

10. andoird213

andoird213 Android Expert
    None

Oct 30, 2011
    Male

The battery life on this device has been the best out of any I've ever owned, before and after the update

Gooser91 likes this.