1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Does Incredible 2 support simultaneous voice/data on 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jackdubl, May 24, 2011.

1. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert
    None

May 18, 2010
    Topeka, KS
    Or is this only the Thunderbolt that does that?

Advertisement

2. sashazur

sashazur Lurker
    None

May 24, 2011
    No... no 3G Verizon phones support simultaneous voice/data; for that you need a 4G phone like the Thunderbolt or the Charge.

3. AliceBToklas

AliceBToklas Member
    None

May 11, 2011
    IT
    NC
    Sorta true. From what I've heard TB can do simultaneous v&d without LTE due to newer SEVDO (or whatever it's called) 3g chip. Not so sure about the Charge. I know Inc2 does not have it though.

4. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    California
    That's incorrect. My Thunderbolt works with voice and data over 3G just fine. Sometimes I disable 4G to save battery, and I can still use data & voice at the same time. I disabled 4G on my dad's TB as well.

5. amarryat

amarryat Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    MA
    But are you connected via wifi when you are doing this?

6. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    No, the TB can do this in 3G because it has two radios in it. I don't know the details but because it has different radios it can do voice and data at the same time in 3G. The Charge or any other Android phone will not be able to do this in 3G.

7. ttran97

ttran97 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    California
    No, I almost never use wifi.

There's a thread around here somewhere about the new antennas and being able to use 3G & voice at the same time. So far, the Thunderbolt is the only Verizon phone that will do this.

8. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert
    None

You are correct sir. The chip (exclusive to the Tbolt for the near future) uses SVDO technology. It seems kinda funny that they didn't put it on a phone that is 3G only, as it would be more useful on that device.

I even remember reading a review where the reviewer wondered why they didn't also put this on the Verizon ip4 so at&t wouldn't have any ammunition against them in their ads. The old ads used to say their phones could talk & surf at the same time. The new ads (after the Tbolt) say their iphone can talk & surf at the same time.

The ability to talk & surf while connected to wi-fi has always been there, because the phones would be using 2 different radios for voice & data (3G & wi-fi). LTE equipped phones can talk & surf because they also use 2 radios for voice & data (3G & 4G).

SVDO (Simultaneous Voice & Data) also makes use of 2 radios, but in a way that was previously not available on Verizon's network. Basically, it moves voice down to 1Rx (2G), & data stays on EVDO (3G).

The next evolution coming is found on the LG Revolution, which will be capable of voice & data on LTE, called VoLTE or voice over LTE, which uses a single radio (4G LTE). After a demonstration at MWC 2011, they mentioned possibly making VoLTE available in 2012.

Verizon also has stated recently that by 2013-14, all phones released on their network will be 4G. The plus side of that no more minute plans, you simply buy a data plan. The downside is with Verizon set to introduce tiered data this summer, your voice minutes will be coming out of your data plan.

Now, if the amount of data consumed by VoLTE is negligible, everything should be okay. If it is a noticable amount, along with texting & other services that currently aren't data, a person could find themselves looking at overages. Verizon has said recently they will charge for data overages under the coming tiered data plans, not throttle speeds as some have specualted.

Could be good or bad, but without details we can only speculate. If they do actually make VoLTE available in 2012, I'll be watching LG Revolution owners to see how it works for them before I make any judgement.

ttran97 likes this.