1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does IP68 work against gas?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by louis2008, Dec 25, 2021.

1. louis2008

louis2008 Well-Known Member

I know that IP68 is talking about dust, dirt and water/moisture. How about gas? I don't mean air, I mean gaseous chemicals.

Deleted User likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ozonetrooper

ozonetrooper Android Enthusiast

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i don't think any phone or device has been rated for gaseous chemicals. you might have to do it by trial and a very expensive error.....lol

mikedt likes this.
  4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Could you provide any details as to why you need a phone that's indeed impervious to chemical contact too? This sounds like you need to be looking into a specific, highly insulated mobile device, not just some typical consumer phone.
    The IP standard for smartphones is something that focuses on very common problems, exposure to water and/or dirt. Exposure to something like gaseous compounds just isn't something people usually have to worry about.

mikedt and ocnbrze like this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

ocnbrze likes this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I worked in an oil refinery previously, and that place one had to check-in any electronic and electric devices at the security entrance, and no matches or lighters of course.

ocnbrze likes this.
  7. louis2008

Working in construction sites or renovation, you are likely exposed to chemicals in gaseous form you can imagine

Even working in a kitchen, you are exposed to cooking gas or odor from different foods.

mikedt likes this.
  8. louis2008

当然不是指很高浓度的化学气体了,同志。
    高浓度连人都会死。

mikedt likes this.
  9. mikedt

mikedt 你好

:thumbsupdroid:

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. ocnbrze

this is an english only site:

google translates:

11. ocnbrze

i have worked at restaurants in the kitchen as a line cook with my phone.....never had any issues. i would not worry about it too much unless you work with crazy gasses like in a lab or something of that nature.

12. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

From a warranty point of view IP ratings only cover the substances the tests define, e.g. clean fresh water but not salt water or even swimming pools. The device may survive exposure to the latter, but the IP rating doesn't cover it (which also means that here in the UK adverts that show phones being used in these places have had to be withdrawn several times).

So for gaseous exposure the answer is that it makes no promise at all. But even if it did you would have to check whether the specific chemicals you were worried about were covered.

ocnbrze and Deleted User like this.
  13. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Well if your phone was that susceptible to exposure of even trace amounts of gases as you're implying, for several years billions of people across the planet have risked using them in really toxic, hazardous situations. Personally I'm just going to keep using mine all the time, even in my kitchen.

ocnbrze likes this.
  14. ozonetrooper

ozonetrooper Android Enthusiast

Guessin' the only real worry is having the phone in your back pocket and farting on it ....

[​IMG]