• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does it cost money to switch phones on metro?

It's All Good. I've found my answer. Thanks everyone :)

Edit::: I've found that it's free if I call customer service or make a metropcs account, Thanks again everyone for the help

Also if you don't have an account/your phone is broken and you have more than one line on your plan, you can just make an account with the other number on your plan that way you can get your verification text sent to that phone and once you log in, you click change device and you'll find your number among them and the rest is easyyy, I didn't know it was possible until I got nosy in metropcs website lol But my advice to everyone is to make an account now, it'll make things much easier.

Last edited:
YMMV, but in general, Metro offers better specials, discounts ,etc for new lines and customers, rather than for existing switches. But there is some leeway, I've noticed differences between the 3 Metro stores near me when it comes to discounts and deals.

But as a whole, yeah without device protection and/or being under warranty, your gonna come out of pocket

Upvote 0
Main thing: 90 day rule(with present phone since purchase)
So when upgrading phone:

Before, you pay full suggested price
After, you pay promo price

Some phones are at such discounts, that it's cheaper to get one of those instead of a warranty exchange(factoring in insurance payments and deductible)

Also - I used to be able to pay insurance whenever(for warranty purposes), others have stated no more.
I once had canceled insurance, then restarted it while in a bind similar to yours.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones