• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does it have Gorilla glass?

Hi all,

I've read a few reviews for this phone and on a couple of places it states that the Wildfire S has gorilla glass. Now, this would make the need for a screen protector completely redundant - but I would be surprised if a phone at this price point would have gorilla glass. Any one know if it does/doesn't have gorilla glass?

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi all,

I've read a few reviews for this phone and on a couple of places it states that the Wildfire S has gorilla glass. Now, this would make the need for a screen protector completely redundant - but I would be surprised if a phone at this price point would have gorilla glass. Any one know if it does/doesn't have gorilla glass?

Cheers,

Ben.

ya it does have gorilla glass

Upvote 0
I abandoned screen protectors back in the day when my PDA was a Visor Handspring. I have subsequently used a number of of Treo smartphones and am now on my second Android phone.

I have never suffered screen damage which has annoyed me enough to want to upgrade a device before the obsolescence of that device has prompted an upgrade.

In my opinion screen protectors are ugly and a waste of money.

Upvote 0
Better to put a screen guard. I bought the wildfire s too, got a scratch within 2 days and it mostly remained in my pocket :(
Also I noticed that gorilla glass for wildfire s is mentioned only in gsmarena.com. There is no mention of it on the product box, htc.com or flipkart.com
So not sure if it is even there.
Hmm so i'v decided to get a screen guard for safety, just in case.
Hey badmash how much did you pay for your phone in bangalore?

Upvote 0
Hmm so i'v decided to get a screen guard for safety, just in case.
Hey badmash how much did you pay for your phone in bangalore?

I got it for 13.7k. I think you should get it for cheaper, if you go to the big mobile stores (like sangeetha). They didn't have it in stock last week.

And hey I got a confirmation from htc customer care that it does not have gorilla glass.

Upvote 0
According to this link, the Wildfire S has gorilla glass :cool:
Well what I said above is the reply I got from customer care. And the scratch on my screen is very real (unfortunately). Who knows, maybe the India model doesn't have it? HTC has done this before - like when they launched the HTC Tattoo in India and it didn't have 3g, while the international version did.
Anyway, with or without gorilla glass, it's still a good phone. Just be a bit careful handling it.

Upvote 0
Well what I said above is the reply I got from customer care. And the scratch on my screen is very real (unfortunately). Who knows, maybe the India model doesn't have it? HTC has done this before - like when they launched the HTC Tattoo in India and it didn't have 3g, while the international version did.
Anyway, with or without gorilla glass, it's still a good phone. Just be a bit careful handling it.
Hmm you may be right about it. Anyways i'm going to get the screen guard for it :)

Upvote 0
That's interesting bd4mash. If you look on the Gorilla Glass web site the Wildfire S is listed there, but I also contacted HTC who told me that -

"The glass used is Active Matrix TFT, this is not the same as Gorilla glass, should we use Gorilla glass on any of our products we will ensure to advertise this to our customers as part of a feature of our range in the future."

Though it does sound he's almost answering a different question.

Either way, I still prefer to use a screen protector. One word of caution though, I wouldn't recommend the Case Mate ones for now. Although they do a good job they don't reach all edges of the screen (about 2-3 mm gap each edge). Case Mate told me that they have now reduced the gap due to customer feedback, but doesn't help if you pick up an old batch :)

Ben.

Reactions: Harish Harris
Upvote 0
I just want to end the myth that gorilla glass is not capable of being scratched. I put one of those long lighters used to light fireplaces and grills in my pocket to go outside and light my grill. My phone was in the same pocket. I didn't really shove the lighter in there, but when I pulled my phone out, the metal tip of the lighter had scratched mt screen.

So much for gorilla glass.

Upvote 0
Screen protectors are ugly,I'am not using it because I will change the phone before it will get scratched.I have used Samsung Wave s8500 and after I saw some dude on you tube with knife going everywhere on the screen and not damaging it....I think that Gorilla Glass is a real thing.
P.S I have also tried to scratch my Wave but without a result

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones