1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does it really matter which camera app I use?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by cdysthe, Oct 22, 2017.

1. cdysthe

cdysthe Member

Hi,

I've tried and even purchased all kinds of camera apps for my phones. Yes, some have different features and controls, but does it really matter when it comes to the actual qualify of the pictures which app is used? Isn't that depending on the camera hardware in the phone? And wouldn't the camera app that comes with the phone be more likely to get the most out of that hardware? Again, forget features like filters and ISO control. I am taking about the general qualify of the photos themselves. Motorola now has a way to tune the camera hardware through a system app so that a full firmware update isn't necessary. Camera apps can't do that which makes me wonder if the best thing to do is go with the system camera app and do improvements with a good editor after the picture is taken.

Thoughts on this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. PhilipX20

PhilipX20 Android Enthusiast

Some camera apps have better features than others. I've downloaded a bunch of them as they went free for a limited time and my favorite is Camera FV.

3. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

In short, yes. It's mostly hardware based. Your stock camera will likely take better photos. Other apps might have better software features but yeah... Your stock camera will take better quality photos. If that's important to you, you should buy a phone that's top rated in the camera area. That's one of the biggest deals apparently. Every flagship release has an extensive camera review. Apparently. The quality of epic "real life" photos you can upload to Facebook matters to most people. :rolleyes:

cdysthe likes this.
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Take a look and see if your phone has a RAW option for the camera. That is just capturing the output from the sensor and saving it to a file so you can choose your post-processing adjustments. That's the only true test of a phones camera, IMO.

Brian706 likes this.