1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Does kevlar fiber provide any benefit?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edstewbob, Jan 8, 2012.

1. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have seen many posts saying that the kevlar fiber back is just a marketing ploy and serves no useful value. Kevlar is very scratch resistant and used in may products from tires to body armor to provide high strength and low weight. It is kinda like gorilla glass for the back of the RAZR and does not interfere with electronic signals like a metal or carbon fiber back. Because it is very thin it helps to reduce weight with the back being very flexible as shown in the Ifixit tear down video. It also is a very water and fire resistance material which may not be a big deal but definitely a plus. The soft fabric non-slippery feel of the back makes it easier to hold without slipping in the hand, especially with one-handed operation. There are a couple of scratch tests already on Youtube that I believe would have scratched a metal or plastic back. It makes me more comfortable to run it naked knowing that most of the back us protected by a thin layer of this strong material.

Although I agree that there is marketing value in advertising the kevlar back I believe it is not merely a marketing gimmick and does serve a useful purpose.

Advertisement

jroc likes this.
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    It serves the purpose of looking nice ;)

jroc likes this.
  3. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    Oh yea I forgot the most important thing about it. ;)

4. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I also have a Droid X1. And I really think the DX1 uses the same or very similar material. Scratch the battery door on the DX1 and scratches come out on that too.

They coulda advertized the same type of thing for the DX1 too.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I guess I'm of the opinion that it will add a little 'toughness' to the phone.
    Will it make it indestructable? Nope.

Should you try to use it like Wonder Woman's bracelets and deflect bullets? Nope.

Could it possibly prevent a puncture wound to your phone if you were to drop it on it's back, say in gravel - or if you work in a construction industry and things get a little rough sometimes? Maybe.

I'd say it's like the Gorilla glass, it makes it tougher, but don't push your luck. :)

EarlyMon and jroc like this.
  6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    In addition to lightweight strength, it likely helps to shield the user's hand from a bit of heat.

BTW, while I was in the neighborhood, I made sure all the report buttons were working, lol. :)

Thread hijacking deleted, and let's remember that handy button next time. ;)

Slug, 330D, jroc and 1 other person like this.
  7. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Wonder Woman is cool.

8. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Yea I was going to ask about thermal behavior of razr components. I never seen the battery go over 100f or even into the 90's; but maybe that isn't the hot-est portion of the phone. However, this phone never seems that warm either front or back while the rezound did seem to get a bit warmer.
    -
    There are a lot of things i dislike about the razr (yes I'm keeping mine); but there are a lot of things i dislike about a lot of other phones - and likewise there are a lot of things I like abuot the razr and a lot of things I like about other phones - just kind of wish I could mix all the things I like about all the phones and throw away all the dislikes ;)
    (then again my selection would likely be different from yours so it might not sell well :( )

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    I just thought of something...

I took the back off the RAZR. The back is extremely thin and flexible. If I'm not mistaken, when you tap the back of the RAZR and feel that solid thing....thats the battery. If thats the case, I would have to agree about the heat. And Moto must really trust the material they used for the back to be that thin, flexible and the battery to be that close to the surface.

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Kevlar is used in brake pads so I think it should do well with heat. Good to hear that these are running cool, but things like heavy gaming can heat up anything. It's not metal so it's RF transparent.

Seems like a good choice all around.

jroc likes this.
  11. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands
    None

Mar 4, 2010
    operator
    upstate NY
    Sorry for my snarky comments. Thank you early for taking care of that mess lol

Like I said before, I think kevlar is an amazing material, and was actually one of the selling points on this particular phone for me personally. I do construction work, and because of the water resistance, strong backing and gorilla glass, this phone will serve me well.

Again, I apologize for the off handed remarks. I of all people should know better... ;)

12. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    While at Verizon showing my friends mom the razr (which she bought) the display model had the backing peeled halfway off. It's basically just a sticker. I think it is thick enough to give some support to the plastic backing and also possibly creates a thermal barrier too. So it's definitely not Just a marketing ploy but I wouldn't rely on it like I would a case which will absorb the shock of a fall.