1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Does Motoblur sync contacts?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lilflippy, Jul 11, 2011.

1. lilflippy

lilflippy Member
    None

Jun 12, 2011
    Hi I just bought this phone and was wondering if the motoblur automatically syncs contacts?

Advertisement

2. 2eZero

2eZero Newbie
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Professional Driver (LGV/PCV)
    Midlands, UK
    Not sure about Motoblur, but if you are synchronised with Google then you can do it through there, ie Google Contacts.

I previously had a WM6 phone so I exported my contacts to a windows CSV file then imported that into Google Contacts (clearly, whilst logged in) and then told it to sync with the phone, which it did.

3. Spiffing

Spiffing Member
    None

Blur syncs contacts between 'social networking' applications, so (for example) all your MySpace contacts will be synced with your Facebook contacts. As I'm a fairly anti-social old git I do not have any such applications in use.

The contact sync you are looking for is done extremely well by Google. I have changed phones several times but for each one I've installed the Google app (already present on Android phones) and bingo, my contacts and calendar were synced in a trice.

4. goalc

goalc Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    Hi....How do we get the phone to sync the contacts to the Google account? My son has a Defy and it has to go back to get the earpiece repaired as its stopped working, and so we wanted to check all his contacts are synched to his Google account, but when we look its empty. I thought that the phones automatically synch to the Google account, but clearly that's not the case.

How do we get it to do this (and automatically do it in the future) ?

Thanks

5. Diabo

Diabo Member
    None

Settings -> Accounts -> Google account -> Sync

You can also launch "My accounts" from the app drawer.

Better check your synced contacts on the Google website, because it is not as reliable as advertised. Names, phone numbers, and email addresses usually sync well, but contact photos, URLs, notes, birthdays etc. are quite often lost.

Keep in mind that the contacts app on the Defy has separate fields for different parts of names (first, middle, last) and addresses (street, city, country, zip) but when you sync them all the parts end up in one line. On return your phone tries to guess which parts belong in which subfield.

If you sync a contact name like "Al's Pizza (open 'till midnight)" to Google and back you'll get very strange results.

I'd also make a backup with Titanium and MyBackup to be sure you can restore your contacts exactly as they were.