• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does NFC use "Mobile Data"?

pinkybrain

Sep 12, 2012
We have a galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) and a few Galaxy S4 (AT&T) in the house. Have never used the NFC but was curious if it uses any "mobile data"? I don't have much data and it's hard to search on here for this because it NFC is too short of a word to search for. So, if my mobile data is disabled, will it still work? Also, is it faster than Bluetooth and what are the advantages?

Thanks!

Near Field Communications is longer.

It's like Bluetooth, it doesn't use mobile data. It's meant for short transactions, though - like a credit card or a v-card would do. Faster than BT? No.

The advantages are ... well, once you have the data set up right, you can tap a NFC-enabled credit card reader to pay. You can exchange name, number, etc., info with people easily. And there will probably be a lot of things people think up now that the technology is there. Who ever thought of using my phone to tell Youtube to play a video on my smart TV when they invented Youtube or cellphones?

Now they issue babies SS numbers at birth - in 25 years they may implant a smart phone at birth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones