1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Does NFC use "Mobile Data"?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by pinkybrain, Dec 27, 2013.

1. pinkybrain

pinkybrain Member
    None

Sep 12, 2012
    We have a galaxy S2 (T-Mobile) and a few Galaxy S4 (AT&T) in the house. Have never used the NFC but was curious if it uses any "mobile data"? I don't have much data and it's hard to search on here for this because it NFC is too short of a word to search for. So, if my mobile data is disabled, will it still work? Also, is it faster than Bluetooth and what are the advantages?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    It doesn't use any mobile data and my experience has been that for larger files (like photos) it's slower than molasses. The only reason I use it is because it's more convenient to "beam" files to my wife's phone than to ask her to retrieve them from an attachment or a cloud server.

3. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Near Field Communications is longer.

It's like Bluetooth, it doesn't use mobile data. It's meant for short transactions, though - like a credit card or a v-card would do. Faster than BT? No.

The advantages are ... well, once you have the data set up right, you can tap a NFC-enabled credit card reader to pay. You can exchange name, number, etc., info with people easily. And there will probably be a lot of things people think up now that the technology is there. Who ever thought of using my phone to tell Youtube to play a video on my smart TV when they invented Youtube or cellphones?

Now they issue babies SS numbers at birth - in 25 years they may implant a smart phone at birth.

4. ralphsteven

ralphsteven Newbie
    None

Dec 16, 2013
    NFC is used for small data transmission (this was the purpose for which it was designed). For all other files use the Bluetooth