• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Does rooting fix silent bug and/or 50% bug?

DDustiNN

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009
I didn't have any problems on 1.5, but I had both of these issues after the 2.1 OTA update. However, ever since rooting my phone, I haven't had either one of these bugs happen (knock on wood).

Is this just a coincidence? Or is this something that was actually able to be fixed?

The silent bug seems to be across all ROMs, even ones built from CyanogenMod source. Seems to be a physical phone problem (which I've never had, even once, with any of my 7 Eris's, strangely).

The 50% time without signal I don't even pay attention to any more. It doesn't seem to affect battery life, at all.

I use Ivan's Eris_Official 1.0.

Other people obsess about doing the airplane trick every bootup. I haven't found it to have ANY affect on battery, whatsoever. My phone sits overnight with mobile network off, uses 2% of battery or so, and the alarm wakes me up in the morning. Phone lasts all day. With or without the time without signal there.

There's a "trick" that people have posted about going into your phone's settings and changing "GSM (auto)" to "CDMA (auto)" but it's not really a fix, it's just some people being 100% confused. The setting is ALREADY at "CDMA (auto)" but they tell you to do something to make the program crash, and it defaults back to "GSM (auto)".

The "fix" doesn't actually do anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones