• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root does rooting prevent this?

i have looked on the forums, cuz i know it has to be on here, but i cant find it

i have rooted my vibrant and installed lagfix on it... and iv got to say that its running **awsome**, extremely quick...

but i know that the new 2.2 version is coming out, and i was just wondering - since my phone is rooted, would i still be able to update it to the 2.2? or would i have to un-root it? before i can update...

will the lagfix prevent me of updating it too?

and will i be able to re-root my vibrant if i un-root it and install the update... are roots possible on 2.2?

before i rooted, when i would go to "settings" > "software update"... it would say something like "unavailable to update" or something along those lines... and now when i try, it says "DM initialisation is not ready. check network or SIM card".... why is that?

i have looked on the forums, cuz i know it has to be on here, but i cant find it

i have rooted my vibrant and installed lagfix on it... and iv got to say that its running **awsome**, extremely quick...

but i know that the new 2.2 version is coming out, and i was just wondering - since my phone is rooted, would i still be able to update it to the 2.2? or would i have to un-root it? before i can update...

will the lagfix prevent me of updating it too?

and will i be able to re-root my vibrant if i un-root it and install the update... are roots possible on 2.2?

before i rooted, when i would go to "settings" > "software update"... it would say something like "unavailable to update" or something along those lines... and now when i try, it says "DM initialisation is not ready. check network or SIM card".... why is that?

My understanding is that unless you install a custom ROM you'll still be able to receive updates. Rooting and the lag fix should have no affect on this.

It's anybody's guess as to when 2.2 will actually arrive. At first it was hoped by the end of this month, now some are predicting mid-November. No one truly knows at this point.

2.2 has already been rooted. You won't have to worry about that. Rooting doesn't make any changes to the core of the system other than providing it with a level of permissions not otherwise had on a non-rooted phone.

Also, it's possible 2.2 won't be an OTA update. I recall reading that it may only be available through Samsung Kies. Basically you'd hook the phone up to your PC/Mac/whatever and download it from there.

I can't address the "DM initialisation is not ready. check network or SIM card," as I've not seen it or heard anything specific about it.

As far as 2.2 goes...forget about it for now and enjoy your rooted and lag-fixed Vibrant.

Upvote 0
My understanding is that unless you install a custom ROM you'll still be able to receive updates. Rooting and the lag fix should have no affect on this.

It's anybody's guess as to when 2.2 will actually arrive. At first it was hoped by the end of this month, now some are predicting mid-November. No one truly knows at this point.

2.2 has already been rooted. You won't have to worry about that. Rooting doesn't make any changes to the core of the system other than providing it with a level of permissions not otherwise had on a non-rooted phone.

Also, it's possible 2.2 won't be an OTA update. I recall reading that it may only be available through Samsung Kies. Basically you'd hook the phone up to your PC/Mac/whatever and download it from there.

I can't address the "DM initialisation is not ready. check network or SIM card," as I've not seen it or heard anything specific about it.

As far as 2.2 goes...forget about it for now and enjoy your rooted and lag-fixed Vibrant.

I agree its easy to go back to stock for when 2.2 does come out next year.

also sombionix is working on a fully working 2.2 rom and has had some good progress... may be worth it seeing as the official 2.2 keeps getting pushed back for the i9000 and we will get it much later then them.

Upvote 0
I agree its easy to go back to stock for when 2.2 does come out next year.

also sombionix is working on a fully working 2.2 rom and has had some good progress... may be worth it seeing as the official 2.2 keeps getting pushed back for the i9000 and we will get it much later then them.

Ah yes...I picked up on this too! Interesting indeed. :)

Upvote 0

With a major system update like this.
I also recommend you to be in the stock TWlauncher as well.
when the 1.6 update came through for the behold 2 that was one of the main prerequisites in order to even receive the OTA update. It looked for TWlauncher to be running.
No AWD or Launcher Pro or the like.

Upvote 0
Ah yes...I picked up on this too! Interesting indeed. :)
you seem to be the man (i would guess maybe a woman i dont know lol)ive had the vibrant a couple weeks and for the first time after driving to downtown detroit experienced the gps isssues everyone talks about,maybe its time to "root" although im not quite sure still what that is. does it make your phone more responsive,help with the gps or in general make the vibrant a better device? I also hear alot of talk about kernals,what are they and what do they do? hope my questions arent to basic or asked in the wrong way or forum thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
you seem to be the man (i would guess maybe a woman i dont know lol)ive had the vibrant a couple weeks and for the first time after driving to downtown detroit experienced the gps isssues everyone talks about,maybe its time to "root" although im not quite sure still what that is. does it make your phone more responsive,help with the gps or in general make the vibrant a better device? I also hear alot of talk about kernals,what are they and what do they do? hope my questions arent to basic or asked in the wrong way or forum thanks in advance.

Rooting won't do anything for the GPS I'm afraid. Rooting in and of itself does nothing more than grant "superuser" permissions for the operating systems, essentially meaning one can manipulate the system without any restrictions. It's what you can do once you have those permissions that makes rooting desirable.

You may have noticed that you can't delete the bloatware from your phone? That's because those apps are incorporated into the OS in such a way that regular user permissions don't allow for their removal. When one has root, with its expanded permissions, it becomes possible to delete these apps.

Rooting allows for the use of apps like Titanium Backup, arguably the best backup program for Android. It can backup and delete apps that otherwise would be untouchable. Titanium is great for getting rid of the bloatware on your phone.

ROM Manager is another incredibly useful app that allows you to make complete system-state backups of the phone and can be used for flashing custom ROM's, updating kernels and making other modifications.

The kernel is the most core part of the operating system, upon which everything else functions. It's the controller, as it were, of the most basic functions of the OS and hardware. For example, it controls the CPU; there are custom kernels for undervolting and overclocking the CPU, allowing for increased battery life and performance. Not being a dev or engineer, that's about technical as I can get on that one!

Many, but not all, custom ROM's have custom kernels. A perfect example is the relatively new Bionix, of which I'm an avid user ([ROM] Bionix 1.5 - JI5 Build w/New JI6 Modem *10/02/10* - xda-developers). You'll notice in build 1.4 of Bionix, you have a choice of the stock kernel, or kernels that will allow for overclocking and a lag fix.

It's possible to just install a custom kernel and not a full blown ROM. I'm using JAC's kernel. See this thread:

[KERNEL] JAC XMOD OC/UV w/Voodoo and w/Colorfix [CFQ] CWM/Stock/ODIN V1.1 10/02/10 - Page 31 - xda-developers

You don't necessarily need root to install some modifications, but you'd have to use ODIN instead of ROM Manager. For instance, it's possible to update the phone's modem to JI6, the most current one, to significantly improve the phone's signal reception and GPS.

This is a good resource for anyone with a Vibrant:

[REF]***Vibrant Directory (Bible)***(10/2/2010) - xda-developers

I suggest you do a good amount of reading before embarking on any modifications beyond simply rooting. The only reason I know anything is from reading and trying things out for myself. Less than 3 months ago I'd never even picked up an Android phone, and I'm hardly an expert. The real experts are the ones that write ROM's.

And I am of the male persuasion, in case anyone cares. :rolleyes:

Reactions: elgibby
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones