• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help does s9 sleep apps after some time even in performance mode?

dan55

Android Expert
Oct 23, 2010
hi,

ive set my phone to performance mode which i think it means it doesnt sleep or optimise any apps (i hope)
...but when i go back to later apps they can be slow to load .... especially noticed in the stock sms app which is odd :/

thanks

.....i added some apps to the dont sleep list ... but wasnt able to see all the apps i wanted to add :/

Last edited:
It won't let you exclude Nova from battery optimisation?

Even so, the launcher is used so frequently that I'd expect it to remain in memory, and awaking from "dormant but still loaded" should take no time at all. Which makes me wonder whether the problem is RAM management rather than battery (clearing RAM more aggressively than your previous phones, or just reserving more of it for the system and so forcing others out of RAM more often)? Does "performance mode" actually make any difference to this?

The SMS app having to be loaded (with slight delay) doesn't surprise me so much unless you spend all day using it. That app is just a front-end, actual SMS reception is handled by a background task that's independent of the SMS app you are currently using, so there's no particular reason to keep the SMS app awake and loaded unless it is being used frequently. My SMS app is excluded from battery optimisation but still often has to load when I open it because I haven't used it for several days.

Upvote 0
hi Hadron,
....yeah i think the s9 gets up to all sorts of stuff to reduce battery and ram use :/ :D
does seem that even nova can have slight delay when unlocking device after it has sat for a while ...... i think sammy do something to any app that hasnt been used for 3 hours
....ive got it runnning in performance mode so no optimising at all i think
cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones