• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does someone who seldom speaks generally make for a smarter individual?

My experience is that in any walk of life, being seen as 'quiet' is bad. Very bad. Socially, people view quietness as being 'stand-offish', or interpret it as the other person not liking them. Or assuming that the quiet person is up to something. It seems like blathering out the contents of your mind is the socially acceptable thing to do, and the way to make friends.
At work, being quiet is such a negative trait, I can't stress how much of an impact this can have on your career. To start with, people think you have no ideas, or are stupid. Can you believe I've actually had an appraising manager tell me just to say 'anything' in a meeting. What? Just any old crap? Sorry that's what a lot of people do, but for me, what I say has to make sense. And if you don't whine and moan about things it appears that you can just be allowed to melt into the background, with work being assigned to people who bitch and moan at every turn. I really don't understand it.
So the harsh fact is that our society does not like introverts.

Upvote 0
Well quite. And it's not what you know, so much as what people think you know, that counts.

Sir Humphrey: it's a deterrent.
Hacker: It's a bluff. I probably wouldn't use it.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, but they don't know that you probably wouldn't.
Hacker: They probably do.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, they probably know that you probably wouldn't. But they can't certainly know.
Hacker: They probably certainly know that I probably wouldn't.
Sir Humphrey: Yes, but even though they probably certainly know that you probably wouldn't, they don't certainly know that although you probably wouldn't, there is no probability that you certainly would!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones