• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does swype drain your battery?

Is Swype an alternative keyboard which uses that finger-drag "technology"? I've seen the application name thrown around here and there but have yet to really look into it.

What are your personal experiences with this application? Is there a severe learning curve? Are the advantages worth the installation (and what exactly are those advantages)?

I know I could just google it, but I'd rather have feedback from fellow Android users than a developer's description or a short Wiki page.

Thanks,
Kushtronics

Upvote 0
Is Swype an alternative keyboard which uses that finger-drag "technology"? I've seen the application name thrown around here and there but have yet to really look into it.

What are your personal experiences with this application? Is there a severe learning curve? Are the advantages worth the installation (and what exactly are those advantages)?

I know I could just google it, but I'd rather have feedback from fellow Android users than a developer's description or a short Wiki page.

Thanks,
Kushtronics

I picked it up very quickly.

The "trick" is to not worry about being accurate with your swiping. "Close" is usually good enough for it to figure out what you were trying to type.

If you try to hit each key dead on it will be a long road.

Upvote 0
No landscape mode huh? That may be a deal breaker for me right there.

Swype works just fine in landscape mode but with such a huge keyboard it isn't that much easier than just using your 2 thumbs. There is just so much space to cover with single swypes that it feels slow. Portrait swiping is great though and you still get the top half of the screen to see what you are doing assuming you don't need all the space in landscape to see the text.

Upvote 0
Within 10 or 15 minutes after going through the tutorial, I was able to enter text much faster using swype than with the stock keyboard. Atleast its seems that way to me, maybe I am just imagining it. It is certainly more fun and more accurate than getting my huge-ass thumbs to hit the correct keys...

Oh yeah- forgot to mention that you can easily switch back to the htc keyboard from any text input box, so really no reason not to try it out...

Upvote 0

Thanks,
Kushtronics

Hijack threads much?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones