• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Atrix have WiFi Direct certification?

youareme7

Jan 6, 2011
I'm curious if anyone has seen any information on whether the Atrix will have the wifi direct certification that came out last fall; it would be a nice little added feature that I would be glad to see start showing up in more devices. It doesn't seem like many have talked about it so far though but the possibilities are pretty amazing.

For those that don't know what it is, WiFi direct is like a streamlined Ad-hoc connection protocol for wifi that lets devices "talk" to each other directly without the need for a router. (think bluetooth, but with wifi strengths) Some good usecases for it would be to directly connect to a computer to transfer files, stream things or basically communicate in any way directly. I'm personally pretty excited about using it. Ideally it will be in the xoom as well, then i could for instance take pictures on the phone and send them to the xoom to look at or stream content back and forth, etc...

Here's a link to the wifi alliance page that talks about it:
Wi-Fi Alliance: Wi-Fi Direct?

There is only one phone witch support WiFi Direct - LG Black.

Well it's nice to know the LG Optimus Black will be WiFi direct supported, but that's not the only device certified. Galaxy S devices are also certified but Sammy hasn't seen fit to push that down to consumers. Additionally, Broadcom has a fair number of their mobile communications chipsets certified and they added the software stack to Android last year so other devices could support it, even devices in the market already.

If anyone has real information to contribute it would be great to hear other thoughts.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones