• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Does the Bionic actually use the SD Card for anything but media?

The title of this post pretty much says it all. I've been having the storage and app issues a lot of us early adopters have been dealing with, and from what I gather, unlike my Moto Droid, this phone doesn't seem to actually transfer the apps to the SD card. It seems that the physical SD card that you insert into the phone is actually listed in the phone's file structure as "sdcard-ext" and the "SD Card" that you're transferring apps onto is actually located on the phone's internal memory, though it still has the same file path of /mnt/sdcard.

Don't know if this is something common now or not...like I said, my previous Droid device was the first one, so I'm assuming things have changed...but this just seems kind of...unfair...what's the point of having an external SD card? Just for media? The phone comes preloaded with Zumocast AND I have Google Music so I don't have to use my SD card for music/pictures/movies. My original phone had/has over 10 gigs in apps/app data...this is going to be a monumental issue for me, especially considering how much bloatware is installed on the Bionic from the start... I mean there's even the ridiculous verizon contacts in the address book that are un-deletable since they're read-only...even though one of those bloatware apps is the My Verizon app that does everything those numbers can do...and is also un-removable.

I am having the exact same problems that you are having.. I also have the same setup to kind of work around it.. But doing a little research I did find this: Partitions for the x2 - xda-developers.. This page talks about switching the partitions on a X2 phone. There are a few problems with this technique that I think will be addressed: 1 The phone is different 2 The phone must be rooted.. which in theory is not hard to do, but I would not want to mess with partitions without a safe way to recover.. So on that note, I feel your pain and just wanted to let you know a potential solution is out there just I don't recommend attempting it until the Bionic gets recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones