• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Brigthness really matter that much?

captainm27

Jun 8, 2010
So I unplugged my phone from the charger this morning and took it to work. After regular use during my day at the end of my shift, 10 hours later, my battery is at about 70%. When I check the battery status and click on battery details, the Display only shows that it's taken about 6% of my battery. I have my display set to auto-brightness. To me, 6% is nothing, and it is so annoying when the auto-brightness dims the back-light. Tomorrow I am going to disable my auto-brightness and use the maximum brightness and see if that really makes much of a difference. If it only takes a small percentage again, I'm just going to stick with that.

What is your brightness setting, and how much percentage does it take from your battery? Is it a very small number, like in the single digits?

I hate auto-brightness. I turned it off the day I got the phone (before 4/29). I don't know if it's related, but the few days I turned my brightness up to about 70%, I noticed a decrease in battery life. I'm usually around 30% brightness (more than adequate) and my battery lasts for 24-30 hours (sometimes even more) with a fair amount of regular use when I'm not asleep (obviously, although the phone is left on and unplugged).

Upvote 0
I use Timeriffic to turn my brightness up in the morning, then turn it to ~20% in the evening, since 100% brightness hurts my eyes in a dark room.

Also, I keep a Wifi+brightness 1x1 widget on my home screen that cycles between MIN 25% and MAX brightness with a simple touch. Helpful when outside at random times when I don't have 100% on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones