• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Charge not have EVDO 3G?

I do know that my speed test on my charge is slower than my Thunderbolt. I was getting 1.5 download on my TB and only getting .5 - .8 on my Charge.

On 3G, right? If that's your 4G download speed, you need to return that phone. Anyway, yes, I can't find a specs list anywhere that say that the Droid Charge has EVDO, Rev A 3G. So, it looks like you're pretty much committed to using 4G LTE if you've got the Charge.

Upvote 0
I want to be certain about the final conclusion of this thread. When a LTE (4G) signal is not available, the Droid Charge is receiving and processing the same 3G signal (assuming 3G is available) as a 3G only smartphone like the Incredible 2 is processing, correct? It is not processing some slower version of a 3G signal, is it?

Upvote 0
I want to be certain about the final conclusion of this thread. When a LTE (4G) signal is not available, the Droid Charge is receiving and processing the same 3G signal (assuming 3G is available) as a 3G only smartphone like the Incredible 2 is processing, correct? It is not processing some slower version of a 3G signal, is it?

Network:LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)

This is Verizon's full speed 3G network.

Upvote 0
The Droid Charge does 800/1900 MHZ CDMA 1xEVDO 3G radio signal just like any other 3G phone. The spec says:

Network:LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)

Some phone manufacturers list as 800 and 1.9 GHZ, it is the same freq, also some break out Rev A or Rev 0, A is the higher standard which has better Quality of Service. See:

Evolution-Data Optimized - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have seen better 3G speeds in same location as a LG Revo and the HTC TB, I ran the test simultaneously, the pages loaded faster on the Droid Charge.

As far as radios are concerned, the LG Revo has VoLTE capability that the Charge and TB do not have, which means when the service is finally activated the LG Revo will be able to make Voice/Data simultaneous over a 4G only network. The current 3 LTE phones use 3G radio for voice calls and the 4G radio for data to give the appearance of simultaneous Voice/Data in a 4G network area only. The HTC TB has a SVDO radio, that allows it to do 3G voice and data simultaneously.

Upvote 0
Haha last night right after first reading this thread my data connection completely disappeared for a few seconds, and what do you think pops up next? 1x!
It jumped right to 4G too fast for me to see if it was just a mistaken showing of a dead symbol or true 2.5G

Needless to say, as everybody else has said, the Charge is EVDO capable, but it might as well not be...I'll be surprised if I see the 1x symbol again for any lengthy period of time with Verizon's fine, fine, SUPER FINE signal!

Upvote 0
The 1X RTT is very slow on any Verizon phone, I hope you don't have to deal with that too often. The 1X RTT initial release - release 0 (zero) - supports data speeds peaking at 144 kbps. Typical real-world speeds are closer to 60-80 kbps. SLOW!

A second release of 1xRTT was planned - release A - which doubled data rates at 288 kbps peak. Many carrier chose to skip 1xRTT release A, however, and move directly to 1xEV-DO.

There are currently two main versions of 1xEV-DO: "Release 0" and "Revision A".

Release 0 is the original version, and the first to be widely deployed. Rel. 0 offers data rates up to 2.4 mbps, averaging 300-600 kbps in the real world. This is much faster than the 50-80 kbps typically offered by 1xRTT technology.

Revision A integrates most of the faster data technology originally designed for the 1xEV-DV Revision D standard, and improves latency. These enhancements allow features such as VoIP and video calling. The downlink (download) theoretical peak data rate compared to Release 0 is improved from 2.4 mbps to 3.1 mbps.

Quoted from Phone Scoop...

Upvote 0
Haha last night right after first reading this thread my data connection completely disappeared for a few seconds, and what do you think pops up next? 1x!
It jumped right to 4G too fast for me to see if it was just a mistaken showing of a dead symbol or true 2.5G

Needless to say, as everybody else has said, the Charge is EVDO capable, but it might as well not be...I'll be surprised if I see the 1x symbol again for any lengthy period of time with Verizon's fine, fine, SUPER FINE signal!

Don't be too surprised to see it again. 1xRTT is used for your phone calls and your SMS text messages. I believe MMS is pushed over EVDO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones