1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does the Charge support simultaneous voice/data on 3G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jackdubl, May 24, 2011.

1. jackdubl

jackdubl Android Expert

Or is this only the Thunderbolt that supports this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast

It does not. Its only over lte.

3. moshock

moshock Newbie

I can check my Gmail (data?) while on the phone (voice?) simultaneously...

Is that what you're asking?

4. JEcht

JEcht Member

If you have a DC why not call your voicemail and then surf the internet and see if it works.

5. stevehoffman

stevehoffman Well-Known Member

My understanding is you can do data and voice simultaneously with Droid Charge as long as you're in a 4G (LTE) area but not if its transmitting over 3G.

6. executor485

executor485 Well-Known Member

That's my understanding. The limitation with 3G voice and data is because of the CDMA network as opposed to the GSM 3G network which does allow simultaneous voice and data.
    I am skeptical of the TB actually being able to do both on 3G. Im not saying its not truth, but no Verizon phones before have done this.

7. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast

The Thunderbolt can do it over 3g. I have owned both phones and tested it out. The Charge can only do it over lte.

8. tuanster1119

tuanster1119 Well-Known Member

Yup it does it over 3G and LTE.

9. dangerous

dangerous Member

With the new 4g LTE they are also installing a NEW 3G network. the Tbolt can do voice and data over 3G (LTE off). Not sure about the charge... sorry.

and the newer 3G does not work with our older 3g phones.......

10. rjessop

rjessop Lurker

Hi,

I had the thunderbolt in a 3G only market, and it definitely did simultaneous voice and data. I exchange for the Charge, believing that it would also work, as it is 4G LTE, but it doesn't seem to work :(. Anyone figure out how to make it work? I'm sure it must be possible, probably a software hack/update would make it work. Anyone up for the task?

11. SCX

SCX Lurker

I was told but a Verizon Store employee that the TB can do simultaneous over 3G because it has 2 seperate radios in it (one for voice and one for data) and the Charge doesn't

kxs783kms likes this.
  12. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast

This is what I've heard in the past as well - and the TB was the only phone with those two radios to support this.

13. Yankees368

Yankees368 Android Enthusiast

The Charge will never be able to place a call and do data at the same time on 3G, only while LTE is running or wifi is on. Only the Thunderbolt has a 1x advanced radio.
    The Revolution has a chip capable to VoLTE (voice over LTE, not yet used), which the tbolt and charge do not have.

14. Does that mean all voice on dc and tbolt are over the 3g radio and data over the other (lte radio)?

15. Yankees368

Yankees368 Android Enthusiast

Voice on all three phones, the Thunderbolt Charge and Revolution do voice over the CDMA 1x network. Data on these phones can either be over the CDMA 1x/EVDO network, or the LTE network.

scarredupmario likes this.

Samsung Droid Charge Forum

The Samsung Droid Charge release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1600mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews