• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Charge support simultaneous voice/data on 3G?

My understanding is you can do data and voice simultaneously with Droid Charge as long as you're in a 4G (LTE) area but not if its transmitting over 3G.
That's my understanding. The limitation with 3G voice and data is because of the CDMA network as opposed to the GSM 3G network which does allow simultaneous voice and data.
I am skeptical of the TB actually being able to do both on 3G. Im not saying its not truth, but no Verizon phones before have done this.

Upvote 0
That's my understanding. The limitation with 3G voice and data is because of the CDMA network as opposed to the GSM 3G network which does allow simultaneous voice and data.
I am skeptical of the TB actually being able to do both on 3G. Im not saying its not truth, but no Verizon phones before have done this.
The Thunderbolt can do it over 3g. I have owned both phones and tested it out. The Charge can only do it over lte.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I had the thunderbolt in a 3G only market, and it definitely did simultaneous voice and data. I exchange for the Charge, believing that it would also work, as it is 4G LTE, but it doesn't seem to work :(. Anyone figure out how to make it work? I'm sure it must be possible, probably a software hack/update would make it work. Anyone up for the task?

Upvote 0
The Charge will never be able to place a call and do data at the same time on 3G, only while LTE is running or wifi is on. Only the Thunderbolt has a 1x advanced radio.
The Revolution has a chip capable to VoLTE (voice over LTE, not yet used), which the tbolt and charge do not have.

Does that mean all voice on dc and tbolt are over the 3g radio and data over the other (lte radio)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones