• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help does the droid 2 have 720p video record?

Can you link to a source Steven? I know with a 5 mp camera and the gigahertz processor, it SHOULD be able to record 720p, but I haven't seen anyone who's gotten their hands on it confirm that.
I don't think there is an article out right now that says anything about 720p, but yes you are correct. With the specs, it should be able to (also dependent on the sensor). With rumors that it will come with 2.2, that might be another hint of a move towards 720p recording.

Edit: Anyone have any info on the optics this thing will be packing?

Upvote 0
I was thinking the same thing. The DI does have an 8MP camera, though I'm not sure how much of a factor that is.
I'd have to say little. Megapixels aren't really as important as people make them out to be, but that is how most of the general public associates camera hardware to quality.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just saw an article that stated that it will NOT have 720p. I can't remember where, but it seems less multi-media than the X, imo, from what I can gather.

Can't 720p be 'unlocked' with an update, much like the recent update to a European Android device? Are the 'guts' for 720p in the Droid 2, making it a possible candidate for HD recording at some point in time?

The Best Buy leaked document that just came out says "DVD" quality next to the Droid 2, and "HD" quality next to the Droid X in the side-by-side comparison list. :(

Upvote 0
Its not ALL about the megapixels.
The answer lies with Texas Instruments.
Texas Instruments OMAP36x Mobile Development Platform (MDP) is a fully-featured evaluation platform built around TI's OMAP3630 applications processor. The OMAP3630 applications processor "DOES" integrate powerful 720p multimedia.

Video recording in 720P would yet be another major feature to help sell the Droid 2.
If it doesn't, it probably will down the road. The Nexus One does, Incredible, and X as well. Seems like HD recording is one day going to become the new standard in mobile devices.
I did read on a internal VZ from Droid-Life that the droid 2 records dvd quality video. (VZ requested this document as well as others be removed).
[Droid-Life even updated the thread saying so]
Exclusive: Full Verizon DROID 2 Training Guide | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The hardware is there to do it.

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
Its not ALL about the megapixels.
The answer lies with Texas Instruments.
Texas Instruments OMAP36x Mobile Development Platform (MDP) is a fully-featured evaluation platform built around TI's OMAP3630 applications processor. The OMAP3630 applications processor "DOES" integrates powerful 720p multimedia.

The hardware is there to do it.

So are you expecting this to be 'unlocked' later on, or someone around the forums to create a hack to enable 720p eventually, since all the hardware is there to make it happen?

Upvote 0
So are you expecting this to be 'unlocked' later on, or someone around the forums to create a hack to enable 720p eventually, since all the hardware is there to make it happen?

I presume if 720p does not come at launch, Motorola will be the ones adding the feature later down the road since we will most likely see a locked bootloader on the Droid 2.

The Droid 2 is identical in hardware to the X, besides the camera and sd card size.
So I wont be surprised if 720p is there along with a very similar if not near identical camcorder interface.
I will know for sure when I play with the Droid2 out on the 11th.

Somebody already with the Droid2 wanna jump in and confirm video capture specs on the Droid 2???

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
D1 has 5MP camera, not 8, as stated above.

D1 also has "DVD quality" recording, but that does not mean 720p...however, the video quality on my D1 has been quite nice, IMHO, much better than picture quality.

There is, as noted above, way too much focus on megapixels...there is no direct relationship between megapixels and photo quality...more MP DOES NOT equal better pictures, just bigger pictures/files. I wish consumers got this so that manufacturers would spend a lot less energy increasing MP, and spend much more effort on overall image quality. D1 is a great example...lots of MP, little quality. My son's ENV2 w/a 2.1 MP camera takes far better pictures than my Droid...he laughs at my images... <sniff>

Sadly, MP are just too easy to use in a marketing campaign ("Mine is bigger than theirs! It's better!!") while image quality is harder to communicate/prove in sound bytes. Like printer marketing where print speed is way over emphasized...we (consumers in general) get what we deserve for not taking the time to educate ourselves.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones