1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Does the DX2 kernel have unauthorized tether monitor ?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by StDevious, May 23, 2011.

1. StDevious

StDevious Well-Known Member

Did VZW find a way to monitor unauthorized tethering from apps like PDANet on this phone ?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. subdivisions

subdivisions Newbie

Not that i know of, havent read anything about it.. Most seem to go PDANET route right now it seems.

3. Steven58

I hope you don't mind, I moved your thread to the proper place. :)

4. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Member

mobile hotspot and usb tethering come preinstalled anyway.

5. StDevious

yes but you have to pay to use them

6. ZeroOveride

ZeroOveride Member

I have used both Barnacle and WirelessTether on my D2/ D2 Global and use Barnacle on my X2 and have never had a problem and I've only heard of AT&T cracking down. I guess that if they monitored traffic they could see it isn't mobile data use. I wouldn't OVER use it though. I use it once in a while as I have a 4G Hotspot but don't always have it with me.

7. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Member

according to the verizon employee i bought my dx2 from mobile hotspot use is free but it takes away from your data plan.

i've used it and i didnt have to pay for anything. i also have unlimited data so it doesnt matter.

8. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert

I would be VERY surprised if the above is true, but if so that is AWESOME. I rarely tether (while on vaca or if my interent goes down for some reason), but it is sure a nice option to have every so often. For instance while staying in Vegas 3 weeks from now I refuse to pay my hotel for their internet and the little I will need my laptop I will use my tether app.

9. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

Tethering was free on the Palm device (Pri?) so there is some possibility, but I agree, I'm very surprised to hear this...always cost around $30 or so a month more in the past...

From one online article:

"The Droid X2 supports up to five Wi-Fi devices as a 3G hotspot. For its two recent LTE-ready Verizon phones, the Droid Charge and the HTC ThunderBolt, the hotspot capability has been free for a limited time, but Verizon will charge for Droid X2's hotspot service, starting at $20 per month for 2GB of service, a spokesman said. The Droid X2 runs over Verizon's 3G network, not its faster LTE network." (http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...available_Thursday_from_Verizon?taxonomyId=75)

10. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

We all have "unlimited" data - the same $29 data plan for smartphones...

You might want to be cautious, a $20 or more charge may appear on your bill depending on how much data you use, based on what i could find on this googling around a bit.

11. StDevious

got it, I think it's the free hotspot promotion that they were running with 4G phones till May 15 that got extended to June 15. I think this might be that although I haven't heard of it for 3G devices.

12. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

4G is easier for them to discover the tetherers' Expect a full court press to purge them dag-burn non-hotspottin' varmints. Perhaps this will be one of many weapons (excuses) they will use to cut people's unlimited contracts??? .....

Motorola Droid X2 Forum

The Motorola Droid X2 release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1540mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews